Custom frame...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris06GT

I have narrowed my choices of my first build down to a 29/30 Model A Tudor....or a pickup, mid 40ish....

I have a couple questions about building a custom frame....

1) Are you guys measuring out the length based strictly off the car/truck body, or are you guys using some standard length's?

2) I know the frame needs to get more narrow going from back to front, how do you justify how much for the front to be more narrow?

Thanks guys, sorry for being a noob!

Chris

Rat rodding is like painting on a blank canvas, it's open territory; you can do whatever you want!

I've built a couple of frames. I built a frame for my buddy's T-bucket. He had some '32 frame rails that he wanted to use to cover the steel rails, so I pretty much built the frame using '32 frame dimensions. On my own frame, I wanted a long wheelbase with the overall "stretched" look, so I designed it the way I did.

Some frames, like some T-bucket frames, run parallel rails front to back. Some widen as they go towards the rear of the car. Mine is 26" wide (outside to outside) on the front and it becomes 36" wide (outside to outside) on the back.

There's really no "standard dimension" when you're building one of these cars, unless you're trying to make it look more like the original than a hot rod, you know?!?!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! :)

Start with what engine, front axle, suspension type, transmission, and rear end, and rear supesnsion you would like to have, or have already found to use. Then pull all the measurements from cab or body length, and width of said cab or body. 24 inch ID frame width at the engine works pretty well for most applicatons. But I have seen them wider, and more narrow. There is no real standard because they are hopefully different from the one parked next to it.

Great info, and thanks!!!

I have a pretty good idea what I want, and I may have to steal some of those ideas' you used...LOL!!

hey man im building muiltable frames from fords to buicks to chevy. how i decide on the width is jus build your rails to fit your body then stick them under the body where the old frame would go. from there you can tell how wide your frame will be. any questions ill be more than happy to help you

Dragitfast Kustoms,
John

Latest posts

Back