Customer service? BAH!!! (beware of rant)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

You all know the scenario, you go into a "modern" parts store wanting something, and the little pimple faced clown asks what year, what model, what engine, what transmission, etc. What you want, for example an inline glass fuel filter, is NOT for a specific car, nor is it going to be in his computer screen, which he uses instead of his ears and BRAIN, looks at you dumbfounded and confused and asks again what year, what make, what model, etc. As you tell him it is for a bucket T with an Olds Rocket 88 (for example), his empty face stares into the useless screen with glazed over eyes, and he has no clue what the hell to do !!!

Then the "old guy" comes out of the back, and you tell him what you want and he walks you over to where it is on the shelf, or goes back into the rows and brings it out, and off you go! OR, you go back to torture the young lost boy with another request that just might put him into a seizure of some sort. Okay, I wanted to do that, but let him go ... THIS time. [ddd

I always just try to remember they all started somewhere. I'm sure the old guy was the pimply faced confused kid once. And that kid might turn out to be a great partsman. It can be frustrating but one thing us old hot rodders learn is patience at the parts store.
I went and picked up my tires at my regular tire store and the owner was breaking in a very young girl, probably his grand daughter. I gave her a hundred and him trying to teach her how to count change was pretty comical, took several minutes. I told her I was proud that I got to help in her higher education. At least I got a smile from the pimply faced girl with a mouth full of braces.

Haha, yeah, that's pretty cool. The blank stare is not really age or gender specific. I've gotten the same thing from grey haired fellows as well. It's that mentality or lack of experience, or whatever it is. Entertaining if you aren't in a hurry.

In a related story, I stopped into a gun shop yesterday, and two tattooed macho survivalist types were just downright rude! Looking for a 12 gauge pump shotgun, and they had one in a rack. I looked at it, and the tag on it (no price) and asked how much it was. "It's on the tag." Yup, it was on the other side, but did he not know? Or was he just being a turd? It was more than full retail at Big 5 for a Mosberg. Then asked about another on the wall, and was treated just as rudely. I was looking a bit gruff in my worn t-shirt and 3-day beard, but took out the modest roll of hundreds I was ready to spend, and said, "Ya know, it's too bad you guys are so ****ing rude. You just lost a possible sale. Then again, I am not paying twice retail for a used gun." THOSE blank stares were priceless as I turned and walked out." :)

Ask for a Chevy HEI module(74-8?), thats in a 1946, and you can see the counter kids head turn all the way around like the Exorcist. LOL

Yeah, those computers have been the system for so long now you just know to tell him 77 Camero when you need an ignition module.
I had a homebrew HEI on my 92 F250 and it used a GM module. I couldn't help myself when partsman asks "what are we working on". What we're working on has nothing to do with the part I need son. I bet they go home and tell storys about us too,lol.

Hahaha!

Yeah, those computers have been the system for so long now you just know to tell him 77 Camero when you need an ignition module.
I had a homebrew HEI on my 92 F250 and it used a GM module. I couldn't help myself when partsman asks "what are we working on". What we're working on has nothing to do with the part I need son. I bet they go home and tell storys about us too,lol.

One of my neighbors is an out of work mechanic, but out on an interview right now, and has become a really good friend. We are working on stuff together, and I might just have a rat going once we get some other things out of the way. He has 4 daughters (God help him), and one is married to a super go-getter who has respect for his elders (and betters?) and works his tale off! Another daughter has a boyfriend I call Squirrel. He lives in his phone, and not really sure he knows what is going on outside. Okay, that's a little harsh, as we are trying to school him, but he probably thinks we are crazy old men. You can see it on his face! Oh, he listens, but does it sink in? Time will tell...

Say, remember when WE were 19 and knew it all, and thought "old people" were a waste of space and oxygen? Nah, we were never like that... :D

I wish I knew half of what I thought I Knew when I was 20 years old. I wish I paid more attention to the old and experiencd people who are no longer around.

That's why I go to a NAPA where all the guys are old pharts like me and have a clue about what I'm looking for! Most of the chain auto parts stores use that computer system that needs year, model etc. That just doesn't work for most of my cars but allows those stores to hire kids that don't really know anything about cars and car parts to work there.

Toad

That's why I go to a NAPA where all the guys are old pharts like me and have a clue about what I'm looking for!

I perfer NAPA too, most of their peeps seem to know more about car parts & they usually have at least 1 older guy that's been around the biz a long time!

BoB

Well, my local one is a little different...

I perfer NAPA too, most of their peeps seem to know more about car parts & they usually have at least 1 older guy that's been around the biz a long time!

BoB

Local NAPA has an awesome young Hispanic woman who knows her stuff and listens to what you say. The old guys at that store must have breathed too many fumes over the years, because they are just like the pimple-faces; one guy is perhaps DUMBER than a rock !!! So I call first and make sure Christina is there, or go M-F ONLY !!!

The O'Reillys, on the other hand, is a bunch of young Hispanics who know their stuff, and one old guy in the back that will come out and knows even more! That's my weekend and evening store. As for Autozone, Pep Boys and another independent attached to a bad machine shop, they are as worthless as tits on a boar. I call them Avoidzone, Poop Boys, and ABC Don't Know. The Poop Boys has a Speed Shop, which was an exciting prospect until I actually talked to the guy. Oh well.

There is one local store that I went to once, but can't seem to find again. It has probably been there since the '40s judging by the building and the decor. Two old hot rodders that use ... get this ... BOOKS !!! Although they rarely need them. I went looking for it, but couldn't seem to locate it again, but I will, because I KNOW I am gonna need those guys one day. Oh, and their prices were unbelievably cheap! Felt like I should tip the guy! :D

Latest posts

Back