DDT - Damn Dodge Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really would like to do a build with a nice fuel injected motor. Maybe one day.

If this does turn out to be a good engine and transmission, it will have been cheaper than rebuilding a mild 350/350 combo.

The fun part is gonna be making it look cool. In stock form, truck motors are kinda homely. But there are people that have made the stock stuff a lot prettier.

partially shaved vs stock intake
DSC01170.jpg

after paint :)
IMG-20121025-00722.jpg

another one
20131014_222545.jpg

just be carefull with the shaving. There are a bunch of people who wound up with holes in their intakes. But being plastic a little epoxy filler s your friend.

On the tuning side, let the tuner know you are using a 4L60E behind it still. They can adjust your shift points and firmness right in the tune on everything over 3/4 throttle. They can up your shift RPM, line pressure and such. Nice part is they can leave the bottom part throttle stuff just like stock so it will run like a stocker unless you are into it.

This an appropriate motor for a rat. It was covered in rat poop!

IMG_6277 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

I got it cleaned up a bunch and mocked up in the truck

IMG_6279 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

IMG_6288 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Right now the chevy truck mounts are just sitting on the hemi frame mounts (previous owner had a 354 mocked-up)

IMG_6280 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

I'm gonna have to cut a lot of spring. I don't think it moved any when I put the motor on the frame.

IMG_6293 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

oh yeah, with the engine sitting at this height, the oil pan is above the lowest point of the frame and the air conditioning compressor clears the passenger side frame rail. I need to mock up the steering linkage to the rack before I finalize the motor mounts. Right now, it looks like the silverado ones will work just fine.

I think finally I have my harness "functionally" sorted out. I'm gonna wait until I get to dad's house and lay it out on the motor before I finish taping it back up. I think I'm gonna run some of the wires under the intake to clean things up.

awesome work, looking forward to see it all laid out when its said and done. I have to figure something out with my oil pan as its way too low where its sitting but any of the high clearance pans are big money...

awesome work, looking forward to see it all laid out when its said and done. I have to figure something out with my oil pan as its way too low where its sitting but any of the high clearance pans are big money...

Yeah, I'm glad I have room under the hood to raise the motor. I'm all about doing it cheap :)

The oil pan you need is a 2009 corvette pan. 4 1/2" from rail to bottom without batwings. Bolts right up.

Looks like I will get to work on the truck some after Christmas....most of a week maybe.

I think I am going to pull the front coils out and temporaraily "slam" it, to find out how well eveything fits when lowered. I had originally planned on having a sensible ride height, but I think I'm changing my mind some. I think I want to make it low.

I also need to see if I have the steering sector in my pile of parts. I need to make sure I can hook up steering before I finalize motor mounts.

Then I need to hack the front of the frame or the core support to let the front cap drop down where it needs to be to let the hood line up. (maybe I need to do this before I pull the coils [S )

Oh yeah, I need to mock up my modified engine wiring harness and see if some wires need relocating before I tape veverything up. Who knows, I may even try and crank it. :)

Also thinking about shortening the bed a tad (shorter wheelbase will be easier to drive slammed).

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back