Dentist wants to make possession of cigarettes in Washington a felony

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
Dentist wants to make possession of cigarettes in Washington a felony

''If Dr. Ed Dolan's petition made it on the ballot, and became a law in Washington state, not only would buying these cigarettes become a class C felony, so would buying them in Oregon and crossing the border into Washington with a pack.(AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, file)
The health risks of cigarettes have been taught in schools and printed on the cigarette packages for decades. There is a statewide ban preventing people from lighting up in public places. Now, one dentist would like to prevent you from even holding a cigarette in the state of Washington.
"I care about people's health," said Dr. Ed Dolan, who is behind the cigarette ban initiative. "I'm hoping that this will help all of the citizens of Washington state live longer, healthier, happier lives and eliminate the diseases, pain and suffering caused by tobacco products."

Such a law, if it came in to existence, would likely illicit a lot of resistance from those who believe taking away their right to smoke is a violation of their civil liberties. So Dolan compares it to the seat belt law - a law that yes, infringes on civil liberties, but significantly increases the average life expectancy of someone living in Washington.

"I'm purely thinking about it from a health standpoint," Dolan told 97.3 KIRO FM's Dori Monson Show. He says he's sure the law will help save the lives of people who are currently smoking, and hopefully prevent future generations from shortening their lifespans.

If the sale of cigarettes is outlawed, and even the mere possession of cigarettes were to become a class C felony, as his petition proposes, Dolan does acknowledge that it treads on a slippery slope. When Dori suggested that if cigarettes are outlawed, then red meat and alcohol could be next, Dolan said he's not sure about what could happen regarding health concerns and laws.

For him, it's about the people affected by smoking related diseases and their families. He needs 300,000 signatures to get his initiative on the ballot.''

more government interference that we don't need. l don't smoke but this goes to far.

Later:cool:

i quit smoking for almost 20 year, then started back, and quit again almost 2 years now. the point is if i want to smoke i'm going to, and i don't think the government should be able to tell me that i can't. i'm with you skull they already tell us to much now.:cool:

First of all let me say I am 100% anti cigarette smoking, hate it, never have done it, and thank God every day my two Sons never thought of picking one up either. However, I think that making it a felony or illegal in any regard is not going to fly.

If prohibition taught us anything it is that the Government can't legislate morality or people's desires to do certain things. People will find a way to get around the law or break it if necessary.

The good Dentist's heart may be in the right place but he has little chance of suceeding in this effort. I think someday cigarettes will be as outdated as the snuff that people once stuck up their noses, but that day is not right around the corner.

Don

I know this won't be popular but I'm for it having more than one relative die from smoking.......as for the comment on alcohol and red meat I'd be alright with that too.................but truthfully it'd never pass so who cares.
That being said I agree we do not need more government intervention and not a good thing from that standpoint.

I take it your state didn't legalize Med MJ??

Ban tabacco legalize marijuana. [cl

Funny thing is the Fed's still list Marijuana as Illegal but some states have it as medical use....problem is the way the laws read here in MI...they are ambiguous and difficult to decipher....never seen an actual state medical marijuana ID car and neither has anyone that I know of.......seen plenty of home made ones..lol...all in all, we arrest for possession and let the prosecutor and the courts sort it would....so far, none of the cases has been dismissed due to the person being "legal" to possess.....my feelings...tax the crap out of it and sell it like beer...nearly the same effects you'd get with beer and cigarettes together....might as well support the state with it too!!:D
Never smoked cigarettes or anything else for that matter, never will and the smell of marijuana makes my nose itch and I sneeze a lot...so if they are carrying it...I know...LOL[cl

If prohibition taught us anything it is that the Government can't legislate morality or people's desires to do certain things. People will find a way to get around the law or break it if necessary.

This.

I don't smoke cigarettes, in fact I can't stand them. But I do enjoy a good cigar from time to time. I also enjoy smoking my hookah on occasion, usually loaded up with mint, coffee, or cinnamon flavored shisha. Generally I reserve that for a time when a few friends are around and we make it a social gathering.

I'm totally against increasing government intervention and their encroaching on our personal freedoms. I've never tried marijuana, but I have nothing against it and I do believe it has some medicinal use. There are many other things I wish they'd do away with, but maybe I should save it for another time.

Simply move to California, dmw, they are way ahead of you. :D

Don

I moved out of CA 10 years ago after living there for 30 years and will never move back!

I work for the Fed Govt and have a security clearance so I can't even think about smokin pot anymore until the day I retire. [cl

I agree Feds should legalize it and tax it like alcohol. How many accidents or felonies are committed by pot smokers. Too damn hungry or sleepy to go anywhere!

First of all let me say I am 100% anti cigarette smoking, hate it, never have done it, and thank God every day my two Sons never thought of picking one up either. However, I think that making it a felony or illegal in any regard is not going to fly.

The good Dentist's heart may be in the right place but he has little chance of suceeding in this effort. I think someday cigarettes will be as outdated as the snuff that people once stuck up their noses, but that day is not right around the corner.

Don

What he said ;)

And yes, I think they should pay more for health insurance.

Did you see Penn and Tellers program called "Bull S**t". One of the programs talks about smoking laws and the scientific article they are based on. Both of them don't smoke, but they hate laws based on "bad" science. Very interesting watching.

The talk show host, Larry Elder is a none smoker, but he hates anti-smoking laws based on flawed research.

Maybe the Feds need to set up another "study"...

Did you see Penn and Tellers program called "Bull S**t". One of the programs talks about smoking laws and the scientific article they are based on. Both of them don't smoke, but they hate laws based on "bad" science. Very interesting watching.

The talk show host, Larry Elder is a none smoker, but he hates anti-smoking laws based on flawed research.

The general public still have a few bucks:eek: Anybody else see this Chuck Woolery Thing about fixing the budget?? I enjoyed it....

http://patriotupdate.com/videos/popular-gameshow-host-tells-how-govt-can-cut-1-5-trillion

I truly believe that if any one of us was smart enough to really know what causes cancer, we would also be smart enough to cure it. Why can't these "smart" people who claim to know all the causes find a cure?

stupid academic types

another example of thinkin some but not follwing through all the way...
a year in prison will take more off your life than a little smokin

Latest posts

Back