Design help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo

He talks to the tiki gods!
Hey folks, I have been thinking about the tail lights on my truck. to bring you up to speed i have narrowed the ass end of a 59 Ford to make my bed. I was going to use the stock tail lights, but the more I look at them the less i like them. I was thinking of a 59 caddy taillight, but i think it would look a little small in the big dog dish cavity left by the 59 tail light. any ideas would be great. Photos if you have then would be great.

thanks all

Pablo

Attachments

• BED008 (Small).JPG
    BED008 (Small).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01366 (Small).JPG
    DSC01366 (Small).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 60
Pablo, can you put the 59 Cadi tail lights in the small bezels on the top of the fins, then completely fill the old tail light area and then run a bumper across that area to fill the empty space left by filling the tail light holes?

Gastrick's idea sounds like it would look great. Maybe even put some of those big bullets over the original taillight holes

Pablo, can you put the 59 Cadi tail lights in the small bezels on the top of the fins, then completely fill the old tail light area and then run a bumper across that area to fill the empty space left by filling the tail light holes?

My exact thought minus the bumper.

Gastrick's idea sounds like it would look great. Maybe even put some of those big bullets over the original taillight holes

Yeah...a couple of Cadillac Dagmars where the Ford tail lights would be with maybe a 53 / 54 Chevy rear bumper between them...including the license plate guard that some of them had. I'll see if I can sketch something and post it later today

I would do what Gastrick said, however, find an interesting set of hubcaps to fill the larger opening and run the exhaust through the center.

Here is a couple of quick sketches to show the Caddy tail lights in the upper location and then some "Dagmars" utilized to fill the stock tail light areas. Then tie the dagmars together with a bumper....maybe something like a 30's bumper and I thought take a 53 / 54 Chevy license plate guard and flip it upside down to give a little more detail.

Just some thoughts

Fordback.jpg

What about 4 or 5 smaller round lights,to replace the big round one ?

Perhaps the '55 Chevy tail light lenses.
They are shorter than the '59 Caddy lights.

I've got a couple i could measure.

Here is a couple of quick sketches to show the Caddy tail lights in the upper location and then some "Dagmars" utilized to fill the stock tail light areas. Then tie the dagmars together with a bumper....maybe something like a 30's bumper and I thought take a 53 / 54 Chevy license plate guard and flip it upside down to give a little more detail.

Just some thoughts

Fordback.jpg

Just a little history for those who may not know where the term Dagmar came from

300px-Dagmar.jpg

Harley Earl was fasinated with her.....ahhhh....her charms and through his design team the 50's chrome "protrusions" were named after her

Dagmar (November 29, 1921 – October 9, 2001) was a statuesque, busty blonde personality of the 1950s. She became the first major female star of television, receiving much press coverage during that decade.

Born in Logan, West Virginia as Virginia Ruth Egnor, she went to high school in Huntington, West Virginia where she was known as Ruthie
She adopted Jennie Lewis as her stage name (taken from her real life married name, Virginia Lewis).

In 1950, when Lewis was hired by Jerry Lester for NBC's first late-night show Broadway Open House (1950-1952), he renamed her Dagmar. Lester devised the name as a satirical reference to the huge success on television of the TV series Mama (1949-57), in which the younger sister, Dagmar Hansen, was portrayed by Robin Morgan.

Holy Rusty Rods bat man, that is some great s#@t, I was not thinking of any thing like that. I am so glad that i asked, great idea... crap now i need to get more parts LOL

Thanks again guys.

Pablo

Latest posts

Back