Did you build.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad told me that him and I did one when I was 4. I don't remember, but I built a ton of them over the years. Mostly cars and trucks since that's where my interests were and still are. I still will pick up a kit if I see one that strikes the right note, but haven't built one in probably 8-10 years.....got a big box filled with built and unbuilt kits in my storage area including a few rare ones

Did plenty. Wish I still had some of 'em. I do recall one .... vaguely.... that looked horrible.... with very crooked decals .... and dried globs of glue all over. I found doing a model all in one sitting in a poorly ventilated small room wouldn't produce good work by the end.

used to?

what do you mean used to? i still build them. i just bought a couple off ebay today. a '62 vette and a '63 vette. i am going to put the fastback '63 roof on the '62 body. i have a trailer full of built and unbuilt kits. i build them when i get tired of cutting or burning myself to much building 1-1
ps. i am 64 years young.

I built as many as my parents would buy for me! I think there's still a box of them in the attic in their house.....I should go looking for it, it would probably bring back lots of memory's!.....and yes, Testors is probably to blame for this addiction......

i put a few together
but most of them got destroyed during the great red anthill offensive of 68.
horrific casualties in that conflict due to friendly firecracker and hairspray napalm fire.

Lots and lots I too am guilty of chopping and using other models to build one would even take the little plastic that held the parts heat it up streach it out and make spark plug wires or cut and bend it to make things like roll bars

Mom had bought for me a Frankenstein Diorama from a garage sale someone had started on. the glue that came with it was orange scented and smelled like chemical oranges. I can still remember what is smelled like. kinda nice...too nice..hoober doober goober goonie googoo babble burble GGGGGGGGgggg ahhhhhhhhh where am I?

I never huffed glue but i got high just using it normal.

One of my fav quipps is when someone says "you know what I like the best" I like to say "the sound glue makes when it hits the bottom of a paper bag?"

Anyone remember the Bandag bandit? or the midnight rider tow truck?
I had the "moving on" semi and the BJ and The bear cabover models.
I paid $60 for an original 1973 AMT model... it's Buck Baker's 1973 firebird stockcar unopened in the original celophane with all the contingency stickers.
i'd like to build some of the old racecars. I had a few funny cars back in the day. Alot of that stuff you can't find new anymore. it used to be alot cheaper to get copyrights and stuff models used to be treated as advertisement for corporate products

View attachment 89182View attachment 89183View attachment 89184

Yep I built the Bandag Bandit and the Super Boss semi models along with several other big rigs! One I remember was a cab over with a flat bed trailer (that was what I hauled car models on)! I also built several Monster truck models and then heated up car hoods and fenders with a lighter and forced the monster truck tires into them to look crushed!
melted the tops down to look crushed too![cl

I had a room in my parents basement that was filled with models (45 years ago), almost all were cars.......100's. Build them to show and just to collect, just got rid of the last ones a few months ago....my all time favorites......they were still in their origianl boxes, never got back into building them.......

weld on......( I mean glue).......[;)

I still have the remains of a few I built in the early 70's....Poison Pinto, Dog Catcher, Red Baron etc. Used to have them on the windowsills and we always had cats who took great delight in sending them crashing to the floor.

See???!!!!

I still have the remains of a few I built in the early 70's....Poison Pinto, Dog Catcher, Red Baron etc. Used to have them on the windowsills and we always had cats who took great delight in sending them crashing to the floor.

I respectfully direct you back to the Why Zombie Cats Rule thread....and why swinging cats around in a circle is totally appropriate regardless of whether or not they are drowning.... just kidding... :D

Always did. I would trade around with friends on parts from different kits, we just moved on to trading on real cars and parts as we got older. I still have a few kits not opened.
Tim

Latest posts

Back