Difference between ratrod, streetrod, and hotrod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwheels

So, recently some of the guys at work have started stating that i have taken my top chop and box build beyond what they call a rat rod and now say my truck is a hot rod. See the attached pictures.....After viewing the pictures, you can see that i chopped the top 4 inches and then tried to repaint the cab with the patina look that it had when i got the cab. Guys are saying that i did to good of a job and that is what is making it a hot rod instead of a rat rod. What are your opinions on the differences between a street rod, rat rod and hot rods? Is mine now a hot rod?

Attachments

• ratrod 002.jpg
    ratrod 002.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 47ratrod45 004.JPG
    47ratrod45 004.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 47ratrod44 003.JPG
    47ratrod44 003.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 47ratrod44 004.JPG
    47ratrod44 004.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 47ratrod37 008.JPG
    47ratrod37 008.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 47ratrod37 011.JPG
    47ratrod37 011.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 80
A hot rod is any modified vehicle to improve performance. A rat rod can be hot rod, a street rod can be a hot rod. But a rat rod is not a street rod. Your's is still a Rat Rod/Hot Rod. Paint and upholster it real nice and pretty and it's a Street Rod.

Then we can discuss street machines, muscle cars, customs, and traditional rods next! :eek:

rat Rod

A rat rod, is a rat rod, if it has original patina, or simulated patina. I think Rat Rod is an attitude, and if it presents that attitude, it's a rat. I do think that rat rods can end up high dollar customs too, even tho those dont get the same respect by me as the ones us guys build in our garages on our limited bugets, but if they still have that attitude about them, they are rat rods. A rat rod IS a hot rod, but a more specific attitude than a regular "show car" type of hot rod. A street rod is more the high dollar trailer queens like that the Boyd crew builds/built.

Anyway, that is not an official description, but how I see it anyway.

Those are my exact thoughts. I built the truck as i thought i wanted it to look, don't really care to much about what people think of it. I think it has a great attitude and i call it my rat rod. It doesn't have a ton of money in it, but it has a ton of my pride........thanks guys.

rods o plenty

here's a thought. The owner gets to call it what ever they think it is.

met a guy who called a stock car a hot rod. Met a guy who called his hot rod a street rod. met a guy who called his street rod a hot rod. met a guy with a rat rod who called it his car.

i guess labels make us feel warm and fuzzy.

the other thought is if a guy has a wad of cash and wants to call your car something, the really important thing is that the bills are legit.

paul

rods

dont forget the fiberglass replica/kit car crowd then you got
rat rod replica/kit car
hot rod replica/kit car
street rod replica/kit car although most street rods are fibreglass are nt they ha ha

Rat Rod and Hot Rod are very close. Hot Rods are ususally period correct while Rat Rods are more of the "just have'n fun" mentality. Street Rods are usually over done, fiberglass, billet aluminum, trailer queens that are quite often owened by guy who were nerds in high school who can now pay to have someone build a car for them. That's my view.

A hot rod is any modified vehicle to improve performance. A rat rod can be hot rod, a street rod can be a hot rod. But a rat rod is not a street rod. Your's is still a Rat Rod/Hot Rod. Paint and upholster it real nice and pretty and it's a Street Rod.

Then we can discuss street machines, muscle cars, customs, and traditional rods next! :eek:

That pretty much says it.

My Olds isn't a rat rod although it is ratty. It's not performance based, but is heavily customized for looks. It's my rat custom.

I don't think it is possible to say that a rat rod is not a street rod. There are plenty of heavily patina'd (real and fake) street rods.

This old chevy has a late model vette motor and airconditioning, not to mention air ride ...and according to the front plate, went on the hot rod power tour.

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

Latest posts

Back