Difference on the dollar, starting hurt again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
Have been checking out Ebay and a few vendors looking for parts for up coming builds. I can't help but cringe at the final price it's going to take to buy some of the pieces. For example, I have a fiberglass 29 roadster body sitting in the wings. It needs all the hardware and bits, so I gather up what I can find, when I find it and squirrel it away. Came across a set of new repo door hinges on Ebay. They look to be well made and the price is killer. At $49.00 for a set of 4, I can't make them for that. Now comes the figuring out of the true cost of things. Being Canadian can have a couple of drawbacks....like the weak dollar we're enjoying right now. (33 cents on the dollar or more today, it fluctuates hourly)

Hinges 49.00 US dollars 65.32 Can dollars
Shipping 29.15 38.86
Duty on parts 0.00 0.00
Total 78.15 104.18
...may or may not get into Canada without a duty fee attached when mailed, so I'll leave that as nil in both categories

BUT

If I send it to my mail pick up in Port Huron MI.

Hinges 49.00 65.32
Shipping Free Free
Duty 0.00 0.00
Parcel Fee 5.00 6.65
Bridge toll 4.95 6.50
Gas 13.35 15.00
Total 72.30 93.47

And then to add insult to injury, there is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours driving time involved, depends on the wait at the border crossing.

This is beginning to bite! Looks like there will be a lot more homebrew parts on my builds no matter how killer the prices are. When they double, that requires a second look and rethink.

Hinges are Ebay number 141646998056 for those that don't have to deal with high shipping costs and dollar differences.

OK...I'm done whining.

These days you must be very careful buying on ebay. More junk and counterfeit stuff. I have been burned a lot lately....:mad:

Yeah, just a year or so ago it was about 1 to 1. The Canadian dollar was even worth more for a while. It might have something to do with the fact our government still claims it has gold and your government sold all theirs.
It's a rocky deal for sure. Our economy can't stay propped up for long and it will take a big tumble real fast when it goes. I'm glad I don't have to buy a lot of stuff but still every car can soak up a grand or so just in piddly stuff.

I'm in the same boat. I have about $3000US worth of parts I want to order for my '28 RPU, because they are much cheaper in the states. I'm waiting for the exchange to change as I'm not in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back