Dig dig dig!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy chit !! :eek: How can one person or family accumulate so much diverse stuff ? I bet there will be a zillion people to climb over when you go. Have fun and post some pictures of your finds. :)

Don

:eek::eek: Believe me, 3,000 miles is the only thing that is keeping me from going to this sale !! That would be a GREAT sale even without the car stuff [dr[dr[dr Hope you score some nice stuff [P

I got my '42 Chevy from Yreka, ( Hawkinsville). If you go, go to Hawkinsville. There are quite a few very neat old cars there, the desirable ones too. I would be careful there, I swear we heard banjos when we went there to get my car. Hawkinsville, I mean. It is north of Yreka a mile or two.

That outfit puts on the majority of the big estate sales around here and the crowds are usually huge. Some of those people are really serious about finding some goods. They are eyes-on-the-prize, full steam ahead and you better not get in their way! There is a lot of good old tin up in that area but a lot of those folks live up there 'cause they don't want to be bothered so you do have tread lightly. I have to be everywhere Saturday but I am gonna get up before the roosters and try to make it to this one. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I don't know how they can possibly sell that much stuff in 2 days, I bet they have 2-3 rings going at a time. I have never seen that much stuff in one place, even every room in the house was full.

I just bought 2 of those manure spreaders this week, just like that one. IH model 200. I'm making one out of the 2 for my sister to pull with horses. Cleanup up, painted and in working order they are worth around a grand, if the sheet metal is good. The size smaller, model 100, can fetch upwards of 3 grand restored.

Just not dedicated enough, I guess!

Well fellas, the estate sale was a bust for me. I woke up early, got up there early and had a decent spot in line but there were professional hoarders who wanted it worse than me. Three minutes before they opened the gate, a guy on a loud speaker laid down the rules, including, don't push, don't shove, respect the property and so on. As they opened the gate it looked like someone shot the starter pistol at a marathon! And what did everyone do? Run, push, bang into each other and hoard! It was amazing. I think everyone thinks they are gonna buy an old sign for $5.00 and resale it for $5,000 like those tulips do on "American Picker". I overheard a lady saying the dude at the front of the line told her that he drove up from L.A. the previous day. That's a 10 hour drive! There was a lot of car goodies and Model A and T stuff which I am sure meant something to someone, just not me. No sweat though, I just drove home and am about to go work on my '40. :)

Attachments

• Photo0116.jpg
    Photo0116.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
  • !cid__Photo0118.jpg
    !cid__Photo0118.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 8
  • !cid__Photo0119.jpg
    !cid__Photo0119.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 10
:confused::confused: Was this stuff laid out with prices like a yard/garage sale ?? I took it to be an estate auction..........that's what it would have been around here. There would have been no super deals unless the bidders fell asleep, LOL. That stuff would have brought a fortune here!

Yeah, it was just like a yard sale complete with masking tape price tags on some stuff but not everything. They didn't even bother to lay much out. The house looked like the owners just got up and left with full closets and all. They had a lot of old various signs leaning against the walls and I saw people just run up to a stack, bear hug it, run out of the shop, pick a spot on the asphalt and start their pile. When their pile got somewhat big an "employee" would wrap the pile in fluorescent pink survey tape and right "sold" on it. People were guarding their goods and givin' onlookers the the stink eye if they looked at their stuff. I love people watchin' and trippin' out on people so it was fun! :D

Sometimes these auctions/sales are just nuts. Years ago I went to an auction at a boat dealer who was closing his doors after being in business since 1957. There were boats there with grass and weeds growning INSIDE them, that would NEVER see the water again, and people were bidding crazy amounts of money for these things. One boat looked like the Bat Boat, had that styling from the 50's with tailfins and all, and it was in horrible shape. Yet people were bidding on it like it was something special.

The only thing I bought were 50 car hitches from the 50's, for stuff like 1956 Fords, etc. I paid $ 20 for the lot and thought I would be able to sell them easy............no way, I ended up scrapping them because I found out guys with classic cars don't want bumper hitches on them. :(

Sorry your auction was a bust.

Don

Latest posts

Back