Discount Tire Rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember about 10 years ago when Firestones were exploding on Ford Explorers? I wonder if that has anything to do with big brother thinking mandates are needed?

That first started 30 years ago in the early 80s and again 20 years ago in the 90s then again 10 yeas ago in 2000. :eek:

If they put the best in the back when you get home swap them.
Most of my cars have different sizes in the front than rear so no problem.

The hawk makes his way to the highest tree... brings his vision into focus and scans the field....

6/32 is 3/16 ... that 1.5 eighths of an inch... they said yours are less than that... why are you trying to run bald tires? either your tires need thrown away or the tire guy can't measure worth a dang.

car tires are sold partway worn out as it is. the tread should be deeper but "shaved tread" tires perform better on the slalom... so do slicks...
Once you get down to 1/4 inch tread you pretty much are running on slicks if you get into any weather or off the pavement.

really most car tires have only a good 3/8" of usable tread to wear off which is why i prefer to buy Light truck tires with their deeper tread if they are in the size I need.

You might need those shaved tread tires if your a teenager driving like they saw in a cheap film but as far as driving normal or professional driving go with the deep tread.

Hey teeners...performance driving does not mean jerk the car around like your a squirrel. Watch how the old moonshiners run, watch a little nascar and you'll get it.

Passenger car tires are roughly 10/32 to 12/32 when new. Also, they have wear bars molded into them that run @ about 3/32 to 4/32. Since my day at Discount I’ve measured my tires and they come in at .290” and .208”. That’s 9.28 / 32’s and 6.656 / 32’s respectively. To answer your question, I’m not trying to put bald tires on my car. I was asking Discount to mount the skinnier tires on the rear where they will wear the slowest. As a rule I’ve always known the better tread belongs on the front of a FWD vehicle. Another rule of thumb is to use a Quarter as a tread depth gauge. The distance between the edge of the quarter and the top of Georges head is about and 1/8”, so if you can see any air above his head, you’re at the limit. I've since rotated my tires to the way they should be and all is good. Here's some pictures of the tires, 2 pics. of the more worn, and 1 pic of the better I put on the front. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1149.jpg
    IMAG1149.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1150.jpg
    IMAG1150.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1158.jpg
    IMAG1158.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9
That tire on the left that looks the worst has alot more than 3/16ths left on it hell it looks like it has 3/16 left just down to the wear indicators or as the law calls them fillets.
you measure to the lowest grooves in the tire assuming the tire has not been regrooved (illegal on car tires).

If i remember right the DOT limits on commercial tires are 2-3/32 on the rear and 4 or 5/ 32nds on steers.

Any on-highway tire with 4/32 tread or less is suitable for use only in the rear regardless which tires drive the car... it's a rule concerning steer tires and control, nothing to do with drive traction.
...and 2/32 or less tread left is for all legal purposes "bald" and is to be completely removed from service.

looking at the Cali regulations for car tires...the 6/32 rule applies only to snow tires and that would make sense since Colorado is a state with traction device laws or as truckers call them "snow chain laws" but it would only make sense if they were specifically mounting "snow tires"... according to traction device laws...all season tires are NOT legal snow tires for when chain laws are in effect and under chain laws in effect...all season tires must be cabled or chained.

So if the tire guys are trying to apply the 6/32 rule to all season tires instead of special purpose "snow tires" which are the ONLY tires subject to the 6/32 rule and the ONLY tires acceptable as an lawful alternative to cables or chains...they have their head up their ass or they are committing fraud.

Looks like the tire guys might be either confused or lying about the law. State laws are for the most part in harmony with federal dot standards.

State of california:m from http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/vctires.htm

27465. (a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.
(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):
(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).
(2) Four thirty-second (4/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on a tire on the steering axle of any motor vehicle specified in Section 34500, and two thirty-second (2/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on all other tires on the axles of these vehicles.
(3) Six thirty-second (6/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on snow tires used in lieu of tire traction devices in posted tire traction device control areas.
(c) The measurement of tread depth shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.
(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to implements of husbandry.
(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.

Hope that helps,I don't see a thing wrong with your tires for summertime highway driving. yeah heavy rains...the one on the left is subject to hydroplaning more than the others.

I wouldn't want to have to run on any of them in the snow or mud... stuck for sure

Recently I needed tires for my 62 to make it a roller. I still had the factory wheels with recaps sitting behind the garage. After not being used for 25 years they still had air in them and had not separated. The rims almost rusted away but were ok for what I am doing.

That tire on the left that looks the worst has alot more than 3/16ths left on it hell it looks like it has 3/16 left just down to the wear indicators or as the law calls them fillets.
you measure to the lowest grooves in the tire assuming the tire has not been regrooved (illegal on car tires).

If i remember right the DOT limits on commercial tires are 2-3/32 on the rear and 4 or 5/ 32nds on steers.

Any on-highway tire with 4/32 tread or less is suitable for use only in the rear regardless which tires drive the car... it's a rule concerning steer tires and control, nothing to do with drive traction.
...and 2/32 or less tread left is for all legal purposes "bald" and is to be completely removed from service.

looking at the Cali regulations for car tires...the 6/32 rule applies only to snow tires and that would make sense since Colorado is a state with traction device laws or as truckers call them "snow chain laws" but it would only make sense if they were specifically mounting "snow tires"... according to traction device laws...all season tires are NOT legal snow tires for when chain laws are in effect and under chain laws in effect...all season tires must be cabled or chained.

So if the tire guys are trying to apply the 6/32 rule to all season tires instead of special purpose "snow tires" which are the ONLY tires subject to the 6/32 rule and the ONLY tires acceptable as an lawful alternative to cables or chains...they have their head up their ass or they are committing fraud.

Looks like the tire guys might be either confused or lying about the law. State laws are for the most part in harmony with federal dot standards.

State of california:m from http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/vctires.htm

27465. (a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.
(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):
(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).
(2) Four thirty-second (4/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on a tire on the steering axle of any motor vehicle specified in Section 34500, and two thirty-second (2/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on all other tires on the axles of these vehicles.
(3) Six thirty-second (6/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on snow tires used in lieu of tire traction devices in posted tire traction device control areas.
(c) The measurement of tread depth shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.
(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to implements of husbandry.
(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.
That's what I said.

Well not exactly...
I was wrong... In your first remark you didn't specifically say you had less than 6/32, i misremembered what you said in the first post which was that they said they didn't recommend putting less than 6/32 on the rear.
I went back and you actually didn't say at that point how much tread you had.
I inferred that's what you meant... that the used tires they put on the front did not get put on the rear because they were at 6/32 or less so I then logically assumed the used tires must have been less than 6/32 which would make then nominally bald = 100% used up legally and out of service.

So you said back to me your tires are not bald but you then did specify that they were at 6/32.
But the tires in your picture are no-where near 6/32 the most worn tires in the pics look like they are at least 3/8. I don't see a tire with 6/32 = 3/16 in any of those pics not even close.
It's pretty obvious those tires in the picture are not bald. I made my remarks based on your specs and if those are the tires you think are 3/32nd's then your measurements are off and my remarks were correct..

Last week I took a load of crap to the county recycling station... I've been doing this for many years.

When I backed int o the bay I was informed that I was in violation of the counties new littering regulations..$ I didn't have a tarp on my load.

I was informed that I needed to pay my regular $10.00 "tipping fee" plus a $20.00 penalty for no tarp...but I get a FREE $3.00 tarp to take along for my next load.

Then I was told that I also only have THREE ROADS that I can travel on to get to the facility. If I am caught on the wrong road heading to the joint with trash I can be fined... but, evidently, I can drive around the whole county with garbage untarped as long as I don't intend to go to the recycling place.

Gov't gone crazy...

BTW... my local farm store has an auto tire shop and I used to get my old project tires mounted there. No more... they now ask what kind of vehicle the tires are going on... I tell them a home made trailer. they look up "home made" and it doesn't register on their computer so they won't switch tires.

HUH???

Last week I took a load of crap to the county recycling station... I've been doing this for many years.

When I backed int o the bay I was informed that I was in violation of the counties new littering regulations..$ I didn't have a tarp on my load.

I was informed that I needed to pay my regular $10.00 "tipping fee" plus a $20.00 penalty for no tarp...but I get a FREE $3.00 tarp to take along for my next load.

Then I was told that I also only have THREE ROADS that I can travel on to get to the facility. If I am caught on the wrong road heading to the joint with trash I can be fined... but, evidently, I can drive around the whole county with garbage untarped as long as I don't intend to go to the recycling place.

Gov't gone crazy...

Sounds like a "Load of Crap"...!! Remember..."All roads lead to Nowhere".... or was it "Somewhere"..??? Was this crap you were carrying tires from Discount Tire????? LOL....:D

Latest posts

Back