do all journalists make thier stories up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

i had the local paper come do an article on the shop a while back and am pretty embarrassed how it turned out. this guy knew nothing about cars, he didnt listen to a word i said....... over all i think it was a waste of time, and makes me look foolish lol.

i cant find the link to the story but he said i fully restore 10-20 cars a year, keep the bodies as stock as possible, just up date the running gear for modern street use.......... if i find the link i will post it for a good laugh lol

The Media are never correct....

In my line of work, I deal with the media a lot..... they have never, in the last 25 years ever gotten anything right.... or at least put down what you say..... they mis-quote, fabricate or embellish whatever they like and you have no recourse... if they do a retraction it's on the last page hidden in the section nobody reads..... sorry that you had to be exposed to that... but that is the way 99.9% of the media seems to work...... hopefully it doesn't do anything to take anything away from your business....

WHAT?

That's OK Mike, don't let the media make you look bad! We all know you can restore at least 50 cars a yr. to the purest specs!:eek: LOL !
Just kidding everyone!! Mike, keep up the good work that you do and don't let that stuff bother ya! Like you said....that guy knows nothing about car stuff anyway![cl

We have a weekly small town paper that couldn't find it's own butt with both hands, let alone get a story straight. But...like everyone else around here, I read through it every week just to see how badly they screwed it up!!:D

The last article that was written about me and my junk, the writer over quoted me and used all my hillbillyish slang. Its cute and funny to a point but, it kinda made me wish I had listened better in school and to others who tried to get me to do better. However, I'm thankful he didn't make me sound like something I ain't.

When I tell my childhood stories now, My kids think I walked to school up hill both ways in 2 foot of snow with no shoes. It wasn't that bad and my parents gave me all I ever needed. I suppose I make things sound to extreme at times.

Here is a link to mine. This guy done a great job with what he had to work with. It was put together really quick to meet a deadline. http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/propane-retail-operations/sequachee-valley-propane

not bad

hey Hydrocarbon Rocket... I can write... and that article was written good. it didn't make you look like a simpleton in the least. You were very well spoken in everyday english.

Don't worry Cornfield, I think most people realize that newspapers fabricate most of their stories, selling papers is number one in their mind and they don't care how they do it! CR

OH the media can be fun. As part of my job as the Fire official I had to investigate firs and the media was always around. I can not tell you how many times I been mis-quoted Or only part of my statement was used or they just made things up. Sometimes this would be an issue if the case went to court The other side would try to use what was said by the media to try to win the case.

It got to the point I would tell them no comment and you will give a written statement at the end of my investigation.

The media likes to print/report what they think the people want to here. Glad I was never a politician.

When I was in the boating business we would get the local news people in all the time, wanting some info for an article they were doing. Not once did they get what we told them right, so finally we just stopped talking to them. One time this blonde TV news lady came in with a microphone in her hand and a camera guy in tow and the people there told her she would have to speak to me. I was helping a customer and since that was more important she had to wait. I guess she was too good to be held up because she stormed out saying something about "never being so insulted in her life!" [cl Gee if I had known she was a celebrity!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::D

Don

I prefer press releases for this very reason. They came & interviewed my wife once & she thought it went fine... then the article came out. They made so much stuff up it was unbelievable like we gave pagers to all our agents! Are you kidding me... pagers!?!?

Bob

hey Hydrocarbon Rocket... I can write... and that article was written good. it didn't make you look like a simpleton in the least. You were very well spoken in everyday english.

I think he done an awsome job. I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing his writing. He probly made me sound alot better than the cell phone interview he got with me while working on a heater with alarming carbon monoxide levels.

And thanks for the uplift!

Yeah, they either make it up or leave it out. Just this past week the local TV news interviewed my in-laws concerning a notoriously dangerous intersection on our local 4-lane corridor. It is a crossroads with no light, just stop signs and my in-laws live right on the corner. They have witnessed some gruesome stuff there in the last 12-15 years and most anyone you talk to says they need to put up a light there. When asked about some of the contributing factors that lead to all the accidents (there were two there last week and one TODAY) my mother in-law said some folks don't pay enough attention (which is true) and when asked if she thought a light would help she said "sure, it would have to help". When it was aired on the six o'clock it showed her saying "people don't pay enough attention" and made no mention of the traffic light question! [S:rolleyes:
Now I remember why I don't watch the news.

Last week one of my co-workers got his truck stuck out in the blizzard and had to walk a 1/4 mile to a farm house. He had a full tank of gas and his cold weather hunting gear. The paper made it sound like he almost froze to death desperately trying to make it to the farm house. He was screamin mad!

TV and MEDIA

I hope they didn"t make you look as stupid as the guys that restore cars on the new reality show Desert Kings,those guys don"t have to act.:cool:

Years ago, Car Craft did an article about her girl and her car, plus the cars she had owned in the past. I knew the guy that worked on the cars so I sent a letter in to correct the embellishments. They never printed anything I wrote, then one day I stopped the publisher for speeding. I told him that story and how it was wrong and why didn't they print my letter. They said the advertisers wouldn't like it.

They I asked why he drove and Beemer when the magazines were about American cars. He turned red and wouldn't answer.

Latest posts

Back