Do we like each other's cars ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Ok, I'm enjoying a cold brew and do some of my best thinking that way. :D I get very philosophical at times like this.

Anyway, tonight's observation: Maybe we aren't SUPPOSED to like each other's cars. If we are honest, ALL of us go to a show or cruise in and critique the other guys ride, and generally say to ourselves "I would have done this (or that) differently, if it were mine. But maybe that is what makes our cars special...............they are one persons vision of what he wants his car to be, and no matter how nice it is, it will never suit another person 100% of the time.

Maybe it is like Van Gogh looking at the Mona Lisa and saying "What the h*** was da Vinci thinking when he painted that piece of crap ?" :D

Dan and I were just talking about this the other night, after he was looking at an old hot rod magazine with cars built in the 50's. He asked "Why is it that cars built today to replicate those old hot rods SOMEHOW just are not exactly the same as the old ones?" I didn't have an answer, maybe it was the availability of lots of old timey parts to use, but maybe it was because we built cars from our own vision and didn't give a rat's behind about what other people would think.

Oh well, tomorrow night I am goingto work on world hunger. :)

Don

As long as people breathe and live there will be criticism. I try not to criticize other cars too much even if I don't care for them. No matter what the final outcome, I can still appreciate the work that was involved. Keeping the" old time" look is harder to do with the availabity and wide assortment of parts in todays magazines, part stores and anywhere people buy. Too many ways to veer off slightly from an original idea. No reason to keep some of the old style items when you can update to make a safer ride such as disc brakes and power steering just to name a couple. (Remember trying to stop some of your quicker rides with 4 drum brakes?):eek:
Don when you're done with the world hunger let's get together one evening over a couple of beers and see what we can do with this budget thing.:D:mad:

IMHO the cars built today, as compared to the ones built in the 40's and 50's are built nicer!!! Notice I didn't say better, just nicer!!!
For example, you're cars Don there is not a better example of a hot rod out there, but I doubt you could find many, if any, that were that nice back in "the day".
I prefer my cars to be just a little bit rougher, but I'm not into what looks like drivable junk!! (Not trying to offend anyone) We all have our opinions on what looks good, or what is safe, and I really think that is why this has become the ONLY web page I go to any more!! There is so much diversity on here anyone can probably find something they like!!

Like I said Thats MY Humble Opinion!!!

You have to remember the cars at car shows were not built for you. The owner built it the way he wanted it or built it the best he could with what he had.I go to car show to enjoy cars not to tell people what they did wrong with their car.

If you give 100 guys a peace of paper and a yellow crayons and tell them to draw the sun. You will have 100 different drawings of the sun but they will all be pictures of the sun.

Everyone has there own idea of how to do it and I find it interesting how some have done it. Myself I tend to build my vehicle with the rules of NHRA and circle track racing because that is what my background is in. so if I looked at everyone else car with the NHRA rules or circle track I could pick them apart and find a lot wrong. Sometimes I look at what they did and say dam that was a lot easier then what did.

I do say to myself sometimes what were they thinking. But is long as it safe I usually keep it to myself.

But hay looking at what someone else did is a way fun and what make us all part of the sport.

I have bought finished car or projects in the pass and always ended up changing thinks that way I want them. Just human nature

If you look at my rambler it was a finished stock car but it had issues so I made a lot of changes and now its almost the way I want it. The rambler guys may not be happy with me but it mine.

I would have given the Mona Lisa more clevage.

+1 [cl[cl[cl

Uh, Don...how many beers did you have before this conversation with Dan? :D
Just Kidding.

I suppose if we all thought the same and liked the same things there would be no variety in life. No individualism. It would be like driving through a neighborhood with cookie cutter houses...nothing would stand out.

It`s like I said to Don when I was talking about chopping the top on my car in a way that was not traditional (which I still haven`t done) if we all liked the exact same thing it would be kinda boring.

There wouldn't be any reason for car shows if they were all alike, and you'd only have 12 pictures on your hotrod file. That would suck a little.

I go to shows to see the other guy's ideas, and execution of those ideas. Some guy is always thinking of something different, and that's what keeps me coming back.

I try to keep my mouth shut, if I have nothing nice to say. Sure, there's always something that I hate, or wouldn't do, but there's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism.

I like to think of it this way. At least he's the guy married to "it". I don't like fat chicks, but some guys do.

I think Van Gogh was one of those fat chick guys. I suspect he was deaf in one ear, and cut off the other 'cuz he got sick of hearing "I wouldn't do that! " :D

Ok... Don has opened the bag & let the cat out again so I guess I can fess up. I think all you guys cars suck but mine is really beautiful... haha (just kiddin')!!! I've never been one to care in the slightest if someone else liked my cars. I worked my tail off to get the $$$ to build them the way I wanted to & if someone else didn't like it they could... well... you know! Now there are a lot of ratty's in my area so it's not quite as bad as when I first started taking them to the local shows but I feel sorry for guys from small towns that say people in their area just don't understand. Not to worry... people will eventually get into the groove & u'll be the innovator! Build what makes you happy & the rest will take care of itself & yes... "It is finished & no I'm not gonna paint it... Mother Nature's already done a great job"!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

If you give 100 guys a peace of paper and a yellow crayons and tell them to draw the sun. You will have 100 different drawings of the sun but they will all be pictures of the sun.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".... "one man's trash is another man's treasure"... "to each his own"..... some think the builder must have "Scraped The Bottom Of The Barrel" with that idea..... maybe they were "Between A Rock And A Hard Place" for cash, you know "beggars can't be choosers"....and sometimes you "Hit The Nail On The Head" with your design....but we all have to remember "it's the thought that counts" and sometimes you just have to say "Katy Bar The Door" and "go for it"....
SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!

I'm less and less impressed with most cars. I probably would care that much about a lot of the rides of members here. I don't like shiny, overbuilt or trailer queen restos. Many of the "rat rod" fad cars are just plain goofy with no sense of proportion and 4 doors will just never ever be cool to me. Matter of fact I don't much care for my own daily drivers either,lol.

you know in general,,, i like alot of stuff,,, but not everything,, i do value a car built by a hand on builder more than \a checker writer car! but for what we love doing i guess it takes all kinds,, its kinda like women sexy can come in all kinda packages,,, i like my woman like my cars different little ruff round the corners,, and there is always someone to say! nice ride!:D

Latest posts

Back