"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get a ton of credit for not giving up on this project. Your first drive should be quite a thrill.

Thanks bob. I've almost threw in the towel a couple of times but, figured there's too much time involved in this thing to just give up. I've got to drive it at least once. With or without being legal. (I didn't say that). :D

Not much today. Spent half the day repairing the right hand tail light. Tried it out and found the bottom reflector lens full of dirt. I took them both apart and have them soaking in the kitchen sink. It's gonna be hot,(99/108), tomorrow so there may not be much done outside after about 10am.

Attachments

• 0812131820.jpg
    0812131820.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2013-08-12_184553.jpg
    2013-08-12_184553.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
You got that right. The heat index was only 107 this afternoon. It was a get inside by noon day.
But, I did get the tail lights back together and put back where they go. Got started on mounting the gas tank and battery. I didn't make much progress on that. I just couldn't get away from the shop fan for some reason. Maybe in the morning I will get that done. Later.

Attachments

• 0813130928.jpg
    0813130928.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
107 you must have been in the shade. I had a 'wet bulb meter" and it said the heat index was 112 in front of "Old Oceans". We finally got started and man is it hot out in that pasture. I have to leave friday and go to another job and will be back monday. I'll do my best to call you and meet up. I found a old international across from the motel here in west columbia. talked to the guy today but it's not for sale. pretty cool old truck.

TMP, it's about 20 degrees hotter than what I like. It's bad enough here in the driveway in the shade. It's got to be a killer out in the plant having to wear FRC coveralls and a hard hat. Times like this I'm glad I'm not working.

I got the gas tank mounts figured out with the materials I have left. Still have to cut some rubber to put on the metal for the tank. Then mount the battery box and battery. I've got some old welding lead to use for cables so I don't have to worry about buying cables. Maybe mount the fuel pump tomorrow also. That's all.

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 0814131742a.jpg
    0814131742a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 0814131745.jpg
    0814131745.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 36
Between standing in front of the fan and going inside to cool off, I got the battery box straightened out and mounted, ground cable ran to frame, mounted the fuel pump and set the tank in. I've got to get underneath to put the nuts on the studs so that didn't get done today. Maybe run the positive cable and fuel line tomorrow. Then the wiring for the rear. Then, I can start on the forward wires. That's all.

Attachments

• batbox.jpg
    batbox.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 15
  • trunk 2.jpg
    trunk 2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 15
Got the positive cable ran, rear wires ran, and started on the chore of figuring out my own wiring from a year ago. Not so bad so far. That's all.

I found out today to check what I'm doing and don't guess. I replaced a lost screw in the fuse block and while connecting other wires, the too long screw ground out and smoked a couple of "hot" wires to and from the ignition switch. It took a while to pry them out of all the other wires and install replacements. It sure opened my eyes, seeing these wires turn red hot.
I got a homemade bracket made and installed a switch for brake lights. Got the fuel pump nearly wired in and the tail light wires are done. I've still got to do the headlight and front signal hook ups along with tieing the gauges for lights. Also, I mounted and wired a three way toggle switch for turn signals. It'll have to do until I can afford a column mount. That's all today.

Attachments

• melted wires.jpg
    melted wires.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 18
  • brake light switch.jpg
    brake light switch.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 19
  • wiring 2.jpg
    wiring 2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 22
junker....didn't you ever put a wire to a flashlite battery?

They also cook......:D...imagine fixing a wiring harness on a motorhome that burned the harness nearly from front to back....remember those GMC motorhomes with the Toro front drives?? I did one.....it was a full week and 1/2 of wiring.....:eek:...

Yeah, back in the Navy, when nobody had a lighter, we'd take the six volt battery out of a battle lantern and lay a wire from a wire brush across the terminals. You've got about two seconds to light up or try another wire. I could've lit up a bunch today.

I can't even imagine rewiring a motor home. Oh, the pain!!:eek:

Only managed to get the fuel pump working today and got the gauge lights and tranny temp gauge wire in. Maybe try for fuel line installation tomorrow. I have a six foot piece of ⅜" tubing and ten foot of hose. Ought to be enough. I may put a screen on the suction side of the pump just in case some critters or other items have gotten in the tank since I rinsed it out.

Another day in paradise. Later.

I got the fuel pickup done. I had a ½" NPT fitting already on the tank. I took a ½ to ⅜ bushing, tapped the bottom unthreaded side to ⅜ NPT, put a ⅜ to ¼ bushing and a 10" ¼ nipple in it. It sits about ¼" off the bottom of the tank. An inline filter, on the suction side of the pump will catch any crud. Not much worried about it getting vapor locked back there. So, all is complete on the rear of the Ghia.(besides the fuel line from the pump to the regulator) I guess I need to get on the inside and try to cover up all the holes. No sense in trying to tack any metal in there. It's all rust. I'll just cover and seal. Thanks it.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 21
  • fittings 4.jpg
    fittings 4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
  • fittings 3.jpg
    fittings 3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 21
  • fittings 1.jpg
    fittings 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 24
  • fittings.jpg
    fittings.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 21
  • fittings 2.jpg
    fittings 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 21
Fuel system is complete now. I threw the sheet metal back on the right hand side, for a firewall. I've got to insulate the inside real good to keep from burning up from the headers. I cut a couple pieces of wood to cover up the holes behind the seats. That particle board isn't staying. I'll cut some more plywood for that. It's been raining for a couple of days so all I can work on is the front right hand half of the Ghia. There's just not enough room without pushing it back into the driveway. I can try to bend something around and screw it down to hold the piece under the door. The only thing holding it now is the original wiring that is routed thru it. That's all for this time.

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 22
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 23
  • rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 22
I got the "firewall" material back in place on the drivers side and had to re-do some of it because the body isn't in exactly the same place as before. After a few choice words and a little fab work, I got the firewall mostly done. I'll make up some small pieces for the center, later. Got the other sheet metal for a heat shield, mounted on the engine. When the headers are in place, I can cut a hole for the dipstick tube. Today, I've got to look for another deck for my Snapper mower. It finally rotted all the way and feel apart. I don't know if the grass is growing faster or the mosquitoes. Later.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 44
  • firewall 1.jpg
    firewall 1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 50
  • fw2.jpg
    fw2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 50
  • fw1.jpg
    fw1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 52
I've been trying to repair this mower deck but, I've decided it just ain't worth the hassle. Went running around Saturday and found a complete mower, minus engine, for a hundred bucks. I guess it'll be worth it in the long run. About all I got done on the project, is put the headers back on and marked the bolt holes that need a little work. A couple are maybe a 32nd inch off and the bolts are tight going in. I want to fix that. And I ran across one of my Volvo High Mileage badges that just happen to fit perfect where I started putting a hole for the little tachometer. The darn radio sticks up behind the dash so I had a partial hole that the tach wouldn't go in. This fixed that little goof. Later.

Attachments

• Volvo.jpg
    Volvo.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
Not much this time. I had to fix the darn mower deck anyway. The one I was going to buy, was totally different. Some channel iron, a little cutting and welding and a bottle of lock tite. But I did get one header cleaned up and painted in my state of the art "paint booth". See pic. And I straightened the dipstick tube out and have it positioned where it needs to be. Maybe more tomorrow. It depends on what else breaks around here.

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 30
  • Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 34
  • dipstick.jpg
    dipstick.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 30
I made a little forward progress the last few days. I got the wood to stay in place back behind the seats. That expandable foam works real good. There wasn't enough solid sheet metal left for screws, so, I tried the foam. It'll take a crow bar to get it loose now. But, I've got to seal up around the other wood and the the carpet pieces and seats can go in. I used some license plates to hold and strengthen up the right hand corner. I really didn't want that flopping in the wind. And, I got the header flanges drilled out and ground some welds down. Mounted the headers and all looks good on the exhaust. I'm going to make some heat shields for the headers to help with keeping the heat out of the inside of the car. I put a little gas in tank and the ole 429 fired right up. First time since Feb. I think. Now, I've to go look for the driveshaft and or rear flange that connects to the rear end. I kept it from the Courier but that's been three years ago, or more. And check out the pic of the motor from the front. My helper went to sleep on me. (top of HEI)That's all.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 23
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 22
  • plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 31
  • enginecat.jpg
    enginecat.jpg