Dream motor?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
Just sitting here wondering, if you could have any motor, what would your dream motor be? Mine would be a Chrysler Hemi, one of the older ones preferably, like a 426 or even one of the older hemis! I love em all!![cl...CR

Attachments

• hemi.jpg
    hemi.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 10
  • early.jpg
    early.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 14
  • early2.jpg
    early2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 9
Eney Meany Miney Mo, which one to pick to make me go!

Oh man, this is a tough one. There are so many out there I'd like to have. 426 Hemi, 427 Ford, 502, 396, 455, 454 ????? Although, now that I own a Pontiac, the one engine I'd like (which never came into production) is an engine that Pontiac experimented with a long time ago. It's a 427 Hemi SOHC that produced somewhere in the neighborhood of 640 H.P.

I think I would like a 454 like the one in the 55 chevy that JT drove in the movie two lane blacktop ...well I would like the whole car, LOL... does anyone remember the movie?

I think I would like a 454 like the one in the 55 chevy that JT drove in the movie two lane blacktop ...well I would like the whole car, LOL... does anyone remember the movie?

Ya for sure. I remember that old movie. Didn't James Taylor play in that flick?. I remember that goat in the movie. I drove one like that once and holy moly did that thing haul butt!!! The guy who owned the goat wanted my girlfriend and I wanted his car..........so we traded for the night. .........YIPPEE!!

Attachments

• two lane blacktop goat.jpg
    two lane blacktop goat.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 9
So many choices. I don't think I would take anything trick or exotic. My fav-o-rite engine is the 1957/1958 392 Chrysler Hemi.

Gastrick, I knew you were going to say that! Part of the reason I included the early pics! You've already got the dream engine along with the Pookies!!![cl Oh well at least I can still dream..:D..CR

I think I own mine. I was given a 425 Olds out of a Toronado, it is 385 horse/470 ft lbs. I need to do a mild overhaul but it is what I have wanted for a long time. It is a factory steel crank, big valve heads and 10:5 to 1 compression. It will go in my '42 Chevy, dare to be different I guess.

I'm greedy, I would want the whole car

Many years ago, right after high school, I worked at a Chrysler Plymouth dealership doing all the ship jobs.

One day a kid walked in and dropped off his Road Runner for a new clutch. When he came to pick it up, he thought it was a warranty job. Not!

The boss asked m(?!?!) to hide the car, since the kid had another set of keys.

Unfortunately, he also checked the milage. I drove it about 20 miles home, and back. But you could feel that thing like it was a living beast sitting under that hood!

I have always wanted to own one, and since the car weighed about 900 pounds, it musta been a screamer.;)

Back in 1955 one car company designed a revolutionary engine that in a few years produced one horsepower per cubic inch right from the factory. This high reving engine caught on with hot rodders and drag racers. They are cheap to build and easy to install in a variety of chassis. Yes kids, I am a Small Block Chevy fan.

Well a Hemi would be a safe choice, but I'd like to have one of the 215 Turbo Jetfire olds motors with the turbo, just because... :D

Here's Wiki's blog on the motor:

"Turbo Jetfire

In 1962 and 1963 Oldsmobile built a turbocharged version of the 215. The small-diameter Garrett T5 turbocharger was manufactured by Garrett AiResearch and produced a maximum of 5 psi (34 kPa) boost at 2200 rpm. The engine had 10.25:1 compression and a single-barrel carburetor. It was rated at 215 hp (160 kW) @ 4600 rpm and 300 lb·ft (410 N·m) @ 3200 rpm. The high compression ratio created a serious problem with spark knock on hard throttle applications, which led Olds to use a novel water-injection system that sprayed small amounts of distilled water and methyl alcohol (dubbed "Turbo-Rocket Fluid") into the combustion chambers to cool the intake charge. If the fluid reservoir was empty, a complex double-float and valve assembly in the Turbo-Rocket Fluid path would set a second butterfly (positioned between the throttle butterfly and the turbocharger) into the closed position, limiting the amount of boost pressure. Unfortunately, many customers did not keep the reservoir filled, or had mechanical problems with the turbocharger plumbing.

The turbocharger was offered only in a special Jetfire model, which was the first turbocharged passenger car offered for public sale. Only 9,607 were sold in two model years, and many were converted by dealers to conventional four-barrel carbureted form."

Regards,

Don

Latest posts

Back