Drill Press

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
I am looking at getting a decent drill press.

Which is better.Bench model or floor model?

What do you guys use and or recommend?

Pic's and model numbers will help.

I only want to buy this once,So I want to get a good one.

I am looking for something that I can use to drill from thin stock up to thicker stock.

Last edited:
I like a floor model. When you have something big to drill you have more room. But the downside is it takes up a little more space. I have an older Ridgid, and use it almost daily. It has been good, but I have heard others having trouble with them. I am guessing they have been outsourced to China by now.

Floor model for sure. I have a floor & bench model but the floor model will do alot more drillin for the money. I got mine at the local farm store for around $150 and it does a great job.I've drilled sheet metal to 1/2" plate without a problem.Just make sure that you get a variable speed model.Slower speed is nice for larger hole or thicker the metal.

Drill press

If you can and have the room..buy a floor model..!! You will be a LOT happier in the long run.Do a GOOGLE search to find out which is better.I usually keep up on reviews for drill presses and just got done reading a few.If you can, try and find a Grizzley, buy it.AND please DONT go to Harbor freight and buy that **** they sell.Try your local Craigslist...GREAT place to find them.

I have a JET floor model that I bought 12 years ago from a home improvement store. It has worked very well, I couldn't do what I do without it. The spindle bearings have stayed tight. I get some belt slippage when using 3" or larger hole saws. And I've just about worn out the chuck, which is easy to replace since it is on a taper. Look for a unit that will go slow, mine is about 120rpm, if you are going to use hole saws or drill hardened steel, like leaf springs.

I've got a Delta 12" bench top model, no complaints.
Bought it used from a buddy ($50.00), drilled a lot of holes, including the front axle on the Dodge, with it.
If I had the room, I would like a floor model, but this works fine for me.
It actually stays on the floor, unless I need it, but I don't think that counts :D '22

Mine is a Craftsman 12" bench model. Have used it on anything from thin sheet metal to 3/8" hardened steel. No complaints.

I have a Craftsman 15" floor drill press, .5 hp., 12 speeds 300-3100 rpm, 1/2" chuck. Been very pleased with it.

One thing I've noticed on some of the newer models is a keyless chuck. DO NOT get a keyless chuck. You can ever get the tight enough.

I have a large bench type. I built a bench with drawers, that also holds my disk\belt sander and use the drawers for everything associated with these 2 tools and more... I works well for me, and I don't know how I ever got along without it.

I have no idea what brand, HP or anything about it other than it's a 1/2 " chuck, and has plenty of power to rip things out of your hands and spin them around really fast. My Dad had owned it for nearly 20 years without ever putting it together. He'd moved it 3 or 4 times and never used it ! It took me 3 Christmas's to get it......Every year I'd tell him that for Christmas, I'd like to save him money and space.

I'm now on my third year of telling him the money and space thing about his old (he bought a new one without trading) Snap On tool box....fingers are crossed in KS......

Here's mine

creightonouting031.jpg

creightonouting030.jpg

I do want a benchtop Craftsman art Deco drill press from the 40s.

I also have another floor model(considerably smaller) and a bench model. Both are made by Ludell. If you happen to see a used one for sale jump on it!
My father bought them in the late 80s. The only thing that ever needed replacing was the belt, and that was because an ex-employee thought he knew how to "adjust" the RPMs.

I have a floor model Delta and it has been great for about 20 years. My ex wife actually bought it for me as a gift.....surprised the heck out of me that she would be that cool. :D:D It has been a workhorse, drilled and holesawed so many holes over the years, and the accuracy is much better than you can do with a handheld drill.

We also have a benchtop one, I had this brainstorm that we could lay it on the floor and put frames in it to drill various holes straight, but it is so weak that drills and holesaws bog down. Only used it one time and now it sits.

Don

Very Cool....

WB3, that is one cool old drill press. :cool:
I love old tools and equipment including the old line shaft drive stuff (big belt drive). '22

Latest posts

Back