dropped front axles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2owell

How do you determine how much an axle has been dropped? I am trying to
run a front axle with split wishbones but cant get steering arms low enough
to run the tierod under the bones. I do not want to run the tierod out front.
everyone tells me that it should go under the bones using a 4 inch dropped
Superbell axle. If so, maybe I was sent a 5 inch dropped one.
So I need to measure the drop to determine if I have the right one.[S[S

first just sit the axel on a flat surface pretty much straight up and measure up to the center of the hole for the king pin which is what the boss which will tell u the drop . you don't go under your wish bones u go between them. I'm not really a lot of help so don't believe everything I say others will agree.. :D

click on my build page, go to page 6 starting at post # 56 you can see what happens with to much drop there is flex in the spring the lower you can keep the tie rod and the drag link to-wards the bottom, but between the bones. But page 8 post #75 will show you where to run the rods..

Last edited:
go find dmw56 & look through his build on his 53 he started with WB's but switched over RR's there r some good pic's there..

dropped front axle

Thanks Gus, I will check that site. I found out today that speedway shipped me a 5 inch dropped superbell axle in a box labled 4 inch dropped axle. That is the reason I could not get under the bones because no steering arms are made to reach down that far.
I had the axle coated with industrial yellow coating after I bought it last year so I can't return it. Know of anyone needing one?
I have a Ford model A axel dropped 3.5 inches coming to replace this one. The steering arms I have now should work perfect with this one.
I am new to this and get lost at times and that is the reason I started this thread for axle info. Was thinking I was loosing my mind. Everypone told me it should work but did not know I had the wrong axle.
Wouldn't you just know that only I could pay for a 269.99 axle and get one by mistake that's 399.99 and can't use it!!!!!
Thanks for your help but please keep looking out for my requests for help because I really do need it. Paul [S

Latest posts

Back