Dry film lubricant - thermal barrier coatings

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

In my boredom at work I spent too much time on the web. I ran across a site that sells turn-key flathead engines. They mention they thermal coat the intake and exhaust passages. Is this just a sales pitch or would it provide any benefit to the 8BA I’m building.

Then I got onto the topic of dry film lubricants. Is there any engine part that would also benefit from this treatment? I’m rebuilding the stock Johnson adjustable lifters and wonder if a dry lubricant should be used.

Any information, general or specific, on these treatments would be useful.

Thanks,

Sid

Can't say I know alot about thermal coatings but I thought the main benefit was protecting the engine parts used in extreme service like blown nitro or NOS engines. Coating ports in a flathead sounds like hype.
"Dry lubricant" [S sounds like a contradiction in terms but remember I"m ole skool! or maybe just old fashioned:D

In my boredom at work I spent too much time on the web. I ran across a site that sells turn-key flathead engines. They mention they thermal coat the intake and exhaust passages. Is this just a sales pitch or would it provide any benefit to the 8BA I’m building.

Sid

Thermal Barrier Coatings offer many benifits for a wide use across the board. Heck even the military has contracts with several of the larger companies. Thermal Barrier Coatings by design are to reflect away heat, and control of heat soak. Many forms of racing have quietly used these coatings for many years- it was a big secret for quite sometime.

Thermal barrier coatings are used to keep heat in and out of certain areas, like the combustion chamber. I've seen them used on big HP dual turbo motors to keep the head temp down & keep engine bay temps down too. It might (and I say might) help a flathead since they are notorious for overheating problems.

ISore

Thermal barrier coatings are used to keep heat in and out of certain areas, like the combustion chamber. I've seen them used on big HP dual turbo motors to keep the head temp down & keep engine bay temps down too. It might (and I say might) help a flathead since they are notorious for overheating problems.

ISore
and prevention of cracks from excess heat or numerous heat cycles..

Latest posts

Back