Early Hemi Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more progress this weekend. I got the cam, lifters, timing chain, heads, intermediate shaft, rocker assemblies, and pushrods installed. I still need to adjust the pushrods but that's a project in itself. It's "heminess" is starting to show now. On with the pictures. For some reason, some of the photos of the parts were not on the camers when I went to download the photots.

Cam and related paraphernalia

Adjustable push rods

It kind of looks like there is a lot of slack in that timing chain...

Otherwise, great build and thanks for sharing with us!

It kind of looks like there is a lot of slack in that timing chain...

Otherwise, great build and thanks for sharing with us!

It does look loose in that picture but the deflection measures just under 1/4" inch. That should be good, right? My Big Block Chevy book says to replace the chain and gears if more than 1/2" deflection, which seems like a lot.

I'm not sure what any chevy manuals say as far as slack-I just know that on my motors, if I can see that much obvious slack, something isn't right or the chain is wore out. I'm pretty sure that you can get chains for motors that have been line bored that are slightly shorter (at least for sbc). You might try and check what's normal for the hemi/mopar stuff at a shop that builds a lot of those. To me, though, I don't think it's right and wouldn't leave it like that.

I couldn't find a better picture but this is a friends 32 roadster with a blown 392 Hemi. He started that thing up one time on a stand with open headers at a BBQ. The guys were like a moth to a flame and the ladies all ran away. :D

Okay, here's a small update. I just wasn't happy with the amount of timing chain deflection so I ordered a different set that was made fore line bored/honed engines. Such chains are unavailable for the early hemi's but a Mopar 340 style chain and gears will work. I installed the new chain and gears. Deflection is nil.

I'll be adjusting the pushrods next, now that this issue is squared away.

Okay you comedians, I got some more done today but the most time consuming part doesn't show up in pictures. I adjusted the lash via the adjustable pushrods. I think if I build another one of these, I'll pony up for the adjustable rockers instead. The exhaust side isn't too difficult but the intake side was a bit taxing.

There is plenty of hardware associated with valve cover installation on one of these engines and this doesn't even include the wire covers.

I cinched em down.....hopefully for the last time during this rebuild.

Here I installed the oil slinger, damper key and timing chain cover gasket. I meant to take a picture after the timing chain cover was installed but I forgot.:eek:

More progress to follow tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get this done before Christmas, don't feel bad, I won't need it until the spring.

I'll keep that in mind. I've got vultures circling around my coupe already, trying to get their hands on my small block.

Anywho, I got the front mostly buttoned up today. Installed the balancer, timing chain cover, coolant crossover, and water pump. It took a while because I had to modify some hardware and rheam some holes. These parts all came with allen head hardware and I didn't want that look on thisd engine. I painted all of the aluminum parts on the front engine color so they would blend in better.

Is that a Chevy water pump?:eek:

Spark plugs are in and the wires are on, but not permanently. Some of them are to short to route like I had in mind.

Latest posts

Back