elec. choke?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does it have to be a constant 12v? I read somewhere that it should be hooked from the field wire from the alt. ?

What has me worried is that i have a simple off/on/start key switch, no acc. I would like to be able to use the radio when the rig is not running, but at the same time have the choke disabled.

It would need power when the ALT is not charging at start up in the START and ON positions. Correct?

I think you'll need a different ignition switch or hook it directly to BAT.

It would need power when the ALT is not charging at start up in the START and ON positions. Correct?

I think you'll need a different ignition switch or hook it directly to BAT.

I don't think so. Most of these have a thermal spring to set them when cold. The electrical current makes the sping uncoil and opens the choke blade. The alternator field is what I have heard of using.
If you hook it to battery the choke will never set (close) and you will have a dead battery after it sets for a while.

I don't think so. Most of these have a thermal spring to set them when cold. The electrical current makes the sping uncoil and opens the choke blade. The alternator field is what I have heard of using.
If you hook it to battery the choke will never set (close) and you will have a dead battery after it sets for a while.

I see. I didn't know there was still a spring in them - thought it'd be all electric. I went the manual route on my trucks. Good to know though, as I'm planning to use an electric on my car.

I meant he'd need to hook the radio straight to the battery. Kinda changed gears there without letting anyone else know. :eek:

If the choke goes to the field terminal, then is it OK not to have a ACC position?

The wire from the positive side of the electric choke should hook to the S or STA terminal on the alternator, not the Field as I stated above. If you are running a one wire alternator, maybe you can find a hot when running on the starter solenoid. You should be able to find or check this with a test light. I would avoid hooking to any feeds to the ignition.

good luck,

Turns out my key does have the acc. option. Its just been so long since it was used it got stuck.

acc./off/on/start

Im still going to hook up to the alt. though

wiring an electric choke

U could also use a relay and a 2 prong oil psi switch, the 80's and early 90's GM used these to run the fuel pump along with the pump relay. Might not even use the relay, just a hot wire run through the oil psi switch to the choke coil. This way when oil psi came up it would start heating choke only while the engine is running. Just another way of skinning the cat....

choke wire

we always ran it from the power side of the coil, with a fuse inline, the coil should not be hooked to the acc. side of the switch, you dont want the coil hot when your just sitting around with the radio on.

Latest posts

Back