Electric oil pump?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman

I've hit a big snag on my latest project. I ain't telling what I'm building 'cuz you'll laugh.

The problem that I'm facing is that there is not enough room for the mechanical oil pump. Is it possible to run an electric pump in place of the mechanical pump or are they strictly an auxiliary type of thing?

I take it, your looking at a lube pump for the engine oil. There is the belt driven dry sump route, but it has the expense that comes with it. Now this is a 'bit out there', but how would a belt driven power steering pump mounted low enough to be flooded at all times work? The pressure would be to high in it's present form, but that could be adjusted, same for flow. I have never tried such a thing, it's just an idea. How's that for thinking outside the box? Yeah, I know, it scares me too! :D Sniper

dmw56 beat me to it, I type sloooow, the electric preoilers are only used before start up, and not for continues use. That is the only electric pump I can think of.

Last edited:
Electric motors are typically one speed.

Oils pump speed needs to vary with engine speed.
The demand for oil increases with rpm.

If you don't have room for a sump on the oil pan,
then you will need to look at a dry sump system.
Unfortunately, they can get expensive.

Mmm. Food for thought! This engine just happens to have a power steering pump that might not be used. I pulled the mechanical pump apart to get a better look and I MIGHT be able to make a different cover plate that would free up a bit of space, but if that's a no-go I will look into the PS pump conversion, thanks for that!!

Latest posts

Back