Engine gurus -- help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

51 ford

I have a chance to get an engine out of a 1958 F600 before it goes to the crusher. The guy thinks its a 352 industrial engine. Someone else said it could possibly be a 292 Y-block. Does anyone know what engines came in these trucks and is there any quick ways to tell what it might be without running the vin#. I do know its a V-8. And is an industrial engine worth the time to pull? Any help would be helpful. Thank you.

One quick way is if the valve cover goes over part of the intake manifold it would be a 352. If the valve cover only fits on the head then it would be a 292.

The only difference in an industrial engine is usually the valves and guides in the head. Some of them had bigger stems and some were sodium filled to help keep everything cooler.

Y-blocks (292) had 2 bolts through the center of the valve covers, the FE (352) is bolted down around the edge.

Truck Y's have heavy 4-ring pistons and small valve heads. The FE's in trucks had heavy-duty pistons, too. In a '58 its more likely a 332 or 330, but who knows what happened over the last half a century. I've seen farm trucks with 428CJ's in 'em!

F800

Thanks for the info guys. I went and looked at the truck tonight. It does have the two bolts in the center of the valve covers. Its an F800, not F600. I also got some numbers off the inside of the glove box. Can someone run these for me, or tell me how to do it, F80F8U30676. Thanks.

Thanks for the info guys. I went and looked at the truck tonight. It does have the two bolts in the center of the valve covers. Its an F800, not F600. I also got some numbers off the inside of the glove box. Can someone run these for me, or tell me how to do it, F80F8U30676. Thanks.

If it's an F-800 it probably has a Lincoln Y in it. If the exhaust manifold bolts are in a line across the head, it's a Ford. If they are not straight across ( some bolts lower than others) it's a Lincoln. If it IS a Ford and it has Ram's Horn exhaust manifolds on it, GRAB THEM!!! They are worth about $500 a set!!!

It does have the ram horn exhausts. I am getting the engine (with exhaust manifolds) Should have it in a couple days.

Betcha five bucks it's a 368 Lincoln Y. NICE SCORE! There is a Y-block section on Ford Truck Enthusiasts that will tell you all you need to know. Just don't mention you are from a RAT forum, those guys are serious purists!!:)

I think the data plate should be on the firewall.

All I have is 1960 data info. F would be a FE 332 HD. And U would be Louisville. Odds are the codes were different in 58.

The fourth spot is the engine code. In this case F. On FordTruckEnthusiasts, their decoder did not even recognize the engine code as legit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. As soon as I get the engine I will get some numbers off the block. Any Ideas where I can find these?

It's not like chevy motors. Ford #'s don't usually mean much. Easiest way may be to take a picture and post it.

Here is the engine I got. Any ideas on the vin locale? I want to run numbers so I know exactly what I have.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 53
Lincoln Y block. I don't know much about them past identification.

Again, Ford didn't use VIN or serial #'s on their motors, just part #'s. (I.E. to find out if an FE is a a 352 or 390, you must measure the stroke, otherwise they are identical)

Try John Mummerts site. He now has a page for Lincoln blocks too.
http://www.ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm

Might want to check his Ford Y-block page to get an idea where to look for block codes. Odds are they are cast somewhere on the sides.

Last edited:
I took both valve covers off and it was super clean inside. I would like to get this running without to much tare-down. The story I got was an old farmer owned the truck, the radiator started leaking so he replaced it but then never really drove it much. I think I'm gonna clean it up replace oil and plugs and see if it will run. Good or bad idea?

Why not see if it starts. How long did it sit? Might want to squirt some Marvel in the pistons and prime the oil pump good before trying to crank it. Turn it by hand first, etc. If it's anything like the Ford Y, make sure you are getting oil to the rockers. The Ford Y had oiling issues.

I think those exhaust manifolds are worth more than the engine.

The FORD ramhorns are the big $$ ones. The Lincolns horns don't go for much. Known a couple ppl that got burned on the bay that way. I'd like to know what size that motor is though.

From Mummert's site, it sounds like you could get up to 425 CUBES out of it and probably not for much more than scrounging old truck parts. Makes me wanna go find one myself!

My buddy Big Jim just bought Tekehma Nebraska's old plow truck the snow goose. it's a Marmon herrington all wheel drive conversion
It a 1959 f800 with hydraulic brakes and a 332 v8
the old motors manuals have alot of info on them
I had a 75 f600 with a 391 i think they look the same ...like an fe engine block with 292 shaped heads.
Jims 332 pulls it around okay..
from what I've read some of the large old trucks had clark straight 5 speeds in them and some had 5 speed overdrives.

Latest posts

Back