Engine Mount/Isolators

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

So just a real stupid question (or atleast I feel stupid asking), I had built my motor mounts before I got the replacement isolators. I have made something like the motor mounts in "how to build a traditional ford hot rod", and drilled the mount hole 1 1/2" as directed. The isolators show up and the lip on the large steel washer is 1 1/4" OD and thought this was to be the hole size in the mount. I feel like that is too much play in the motor mount. Just need to check I think I'm making the mounts again...

IMG_0788.jpg

Run a bead around the inside of that hole and then grind it smooth if you want to close it up some. Hard to tell what we are seeing in that picture.

Don

Should have explained better, thats the bottom of the mount, with the washer. This is the washer and the lip I was refering too. Looking at the first picture again, not sure what I was thinking posting just that.

IMG_0787.jpg

I am just thinking a 1/4" inch movement might be a bit much. I could turn up a quick spacer too. I havent used puck mounts like these before (flathead), so I wasnt sure if this was normal or not.

On a circumference clearance, you have to divide that 1/4" in half. You end up with 1/8" clearance all the way around with it centered.

attachment.php

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 41
I'm thinking maybe that will allow the motor to kind of hammer on the mount a little too much. Is there any way to just weld a washer on the back side of that mount ,so that the other washer fits snug?

Ok, now that I see that second picture I get what you are dealing with. I wouldn't worry about it, that little gap isn't all that bad and the rubber bushing that goes underneath the frame mount will sort of lock in the position and keep it from moving around.

I don't think you have a problem there, but if you want to feel better, put a large washer underneath between the frame mount and rubber bushing with just a big enough hole for the bolt to go through.

Don

On a circumference clearance, you have to divide that 1/4" in half. You end up with 1/8" clearance all the way around with it centered.

I do not disagree at all, but that 1/8" clearance would allow for a 1/4" movement total, and since they are both circular that movement could be in any direction.

Seems the bolts are too long by about a 1/4", so I might just make up a thick washer with a wide flange and cut down on the clearance with that. Thanks, just needed some reassurance before I tossed the mounts.

Latest posts

Back