Engine Rebuild -> Tune -> Sit

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill-der

I "refreshed" my first engine (early 70's dodge 360) by pulling it all apart, cleaning everything, replacing gaskets, and rebuilding the carb.

To my surprise, it actually started and I was running only water because I didn't want to dump anti-freeze everywhere just in case, and luckily I did because my header bolts run into the cooling passages and it was leaking all over every time i tried to re-install them and every time I had to take them on and off I would have had to drain the coolant and make a mess.

My question is: I am still not really done with my headers, I want to turn the straight pipes into lakes headers so I can bolt on mufflers when I have to so while I am working on that is it OK to let is sit empty for a few months (yes, I am slow) after running only water, or is there water sitting in there that is rusting everything out?

You can go to your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of cooling system "lubricant" to add to your water (look for it near the Bars Leak/additives/etc). Dump it in your radiator, run the engine for a while to work it through the engine; water will be kind of milky white.

This stuff will prevent rust inside your engine and help lube your water pump. I always got it from NAPA, cost a couple bucks and one bottle should be enough for your whole system.

Latest posts

Back