Engine selection time... should I go tried and true, or something a little different

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

I'm building a rat rod out of parts that I already have on hand. I don't currently own an engine, but I have a long inputT90 transmission, a Dana 18 transfer case to mate up to a pair of Suzuki Samurai axles (I know weak import crap, but the price was right - free!). The trans and t-case are out of a 1950's Willys Jeep.

I want to keep this 4WD even though it will never see off-road use except if you count the wet grass in my backyard.

Here's my dilemma... When I got the T90, the guy I bought it from threw in another spare T90 with a short input shaft, so between the two transmissions, I can adapt it to a 4 cyl with the short shaft or the 6/8 cyl with the long input shaft. What I'm missing is a bellhousing. I found a guy who has a bellhousing that will mate up to a vintage 1950's L-head 4 cyl like what was in the old Army Jeeps, but he also has an adapter that will mate up to a small block Chevy motor.

Since I really don't care about how much horsepower this thing makes (I know - blasphemy!), I can go either way. The L-head motor would be MUCH harder to come by and harder to get parts for. The SB Chevy is easy to work on, and parts are PLENTIFUL (I can pick up a running motor for $200), but it seems like EVERYONE has one in their rod.

What are the suggestions, also bearing in mind, money is SUPER tight for this build? I have three kids under 7 plus a senior in high school to pay for - rat rod funds are VERY limited. Donations are accepted! ;)

chevy

tight budget is nothing new to most of us here.

SBC is really the best way to go, reliable, cheap, easy to fix, can get parts any where (BIG + when in the middle of nowhere) and easy to put in just about anything.

a good 3OOhp SBC will run a long time when maintenanced correctly.

the chevy is all l run, have for 35 years and very few problems, most of the time it was not the motor, it was me:p

pics[P

Later :cool:

search craigslist for a 350 Buick. I see them frequently for the same money as SBCs but most are not beat on like Chevies, and have more torque. [dr

Hi Coffee Freak

Take it from me...the old Willys Jeep stuff is wonderful stuff but they are not cheap. If you can find an early CJ5 they ran a little 4 cylinder overhead valve motor that is similar to more modern day stuff we have now and it bolts up to your tranny too.
The flathead Jeep stuff is not cheap and for the most part not practical at all. I have owned a 1960 Willys Jeep truck with a flathead and I just found it needs an engine rebuild (rings at least)...I will be lucky if I can make 1/2 of what I spent on it...so old Jeep stuff is cool...just not cheap...Keep looking on Craigslist for other possbilities.

MikeC

A small block will kill all of your other parts.

I'd keep looking for a drivetrain. I'd look for a rusty 70's-90's toyota 4x4 and use the whole drivetrain (engine/trans/transfercase/axles).

A small block will kill all of your other parts.

I'd keep looking for a drivetrain. I'd look for a rusty 70's-90's toyota 4x4 and use the whole drivetrain (engine/trans/transfercase/axles).

The only problem with the import stuff is people want stupid money for anything with a toyota/nissan badge on it as they "run forever". I ran into that problem when searching for a powertrain for my speedster

My first thought was import truck, but even with 300k miles and "running when parked" condition, people still want $2k for them...and apparently get it.

Early carbed S-10 or ford ranger maybe an option, but hard to find.

Something to think about is resale value. Those odd off the wall combinations, might be cool to look at, but sooner or later you will want to sell it. There is a much bigger market for something with a SBC or SBF that there will be for an odd ball engine.

I'm thinkin' a v8 will kill the Suzi stuff. It might stay under a small V6, but even that might be too much. How about a 2.3 Ford 4 cyl? They used them in everything from Pinto's, Mustangs and Ranger pickups. Tough motors, the older ones were carbed. They even make some speed and dress up parts for them, like valve covers, headers, cams, etc. The pony stock roundy rounders run the stuffins out of them. Even some of the dune buggy guys are using them now.

Hi Coffee Freak

Take it from me...the old Willys Jeep stuff is wonderful stuff but they are not cheap. If you can find an early CJ5 they ran a little 4 cylinder overhead valve motor that is similar to more modern day stuff we have now and it bolts up to your tranny too.
The flathead Jeep stuff is not cheap and for the most part not practical at all. I have owned a 1960 Willys Jeep truck with a flathead and I just found it needs an engine rebuild (rings at least)...I will be lucky if I can make 1/2 of what I spent on it...so old Jeep stuff is cool...just not cheap...Keep looking on Craigslist for other possbilities.

MikeC

That REALLY helps make the decision. Looks like ot's SBC for me. I know the Sami stuff won't hold up to it - they are only being used because they are already in my possession. When it blows up, I'll replace it with something beefier, but by that point, at least I'll have something that runs!

A little different and middle of the road :D

I would suggest a 4.3 Chevy V6. Will bolt up in place of the sbc have plenty of power but not to much to break stuff and also cheap to get parts for and still plentiful. :D

JMO:D

A little different and middle of the road :D

I would suggest a 4.3 Chevy V6. Will bolt up in place of the sbc have plenty of power but not to much to break stuff and also cheap to get parts for and still plentiful. :D

JMO:D

I actually thought about that since they are pretty common, but I'd REALLY like something that looks a bit more vintage since the old timers are already gonna give me flak for the lack of vintage tin on the body (I'm starting with a Samurai cowl and building from there)

I'd definitely want something carburated so I don't have to run an electric fuel pump since I want to use a keg style fuel tank. Nothing real unique there, but also trying to stay in budget. (the leather in my wallet is worth more than the contents of it)

I believe that you can find the dress up parts for the 6 cyl. And if you go early 80's the 4.3 was all over in Cameros blazers etc with carbs.

I know something that would have a little power and be a cool 4 cyl....
The mercury marine 3.0
back in the late 60's chevy designed a 4 cylinder based on essentially half a 370 in anticipation of a mid sized truck. Instead they partnered with Isuzu and transferred the engine to mercury marine where it is still manufactured for use in boats.

You can pick them up pretty cheap out of old boats that need to get junked and about 8 years ago I looked online and could have bought a brand new one for $1800 with warranty

They have a conventional chevy smallblock bellhousing
I was going to use one to build a tuner style turbo engine for a nova because the intake and exhast are on the same side of the head and I never got around to it.

3 liter 140 hp... solid and strong little engines

or if you want bigger and can find one mercruiser built an entirely in house designed 3.7 liter 4 cylinger essentially half of a ford 460 including the head with an aluminum block and a chevy bellhousing pattern

both of these engines are in a wide variety of street rods and hotrrods and are very cool

There even was a mercruiser 170 on the hamb that had pontiac superduty head on it and one with a smallblock chevy head...
The 170 had an iron block and is a relative to the old chevy nova 4 cylinder and the postal jeep 4 cyl.

The pontiac 2.5 didn't come along until 1977

2.3 ford came in mustangs, pintos, rangers. just stay away from the 8 plug head if you want simple. The bone yard here in Columbus kicks them out for $250 engine and trans. The best thing is they used them for roundie round racing to so after market parts are there. Check out Esslinger for go fast stuff. If you swap the Sami axels later on for Toyota (same axel size as a Ford 9") and later one had an 8" ring gear. I have been beating mine with a mild 302 for years, even put a little laughing gas on the old 22re trying to send it into orbit.

Why bother?

I don't know about you....money is tight but my timeis valuable also! I would sell that V8 as it will break your driveline. You have gotten good advice on here about a Toyota driveline or a Ranger/Pinto engine. I would listen to that advice unless you like endless wrenching and doing a job over two or three times! The idea is that you want to drive your ride!

Latest posts

Back