engine swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65f100guy

I have a 1965 Ford F100 that came with a 352 FE and I am going to put a small block Ford in its place is there anything that needs to be done besides changing the rubber motor mounts? Any advice would be great. Thanks

I think the perches also, and definitely the bell or you need the sbf trans. Assuming you are talking a 302, you'll want the trans too because unless you have the motor already seriously built it ain't that great for a heavy truck and that old trans gear ratios. A 351W is a better idea, but I'd probably just build up the 352 - it's even easy to turn into a 390 with stock parts.

The truck does not have the 352 any more and I have looked at engine swap kits but have not found any kits for a sbf to that truck. So if I need to change the pearches could I take them out of a 1970 F100 that came with a 302? Thanks for the info.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the perches. Can you get the whole 70 truck? The 65 cab is a near bolt on swap onto that frame.

Not sure I just know where there are some junk ones that I could probably get the pearches off of them. I was just thinking since so much interchanged from 1965 to 1972 that those should probably work if what i have does not. thanks

Ford starting putting the 302 in the trucks in 1970. The 70 - 72 pearches should work with little or no work.

The frame were basic the same from 1965 - 72

The reason I bring up a frame swap is you could also get front disc and power steering in the trade along with the drive train. It would have to be the same size though - short bed or long, and not 4x4 or the wheelbase will be off.

the 70 perches are a bolt in, maybe even the same..the trans is def a swap as the FE pattern on the bell is unique to FE's the trans crossmember may have to be moved to a different hole in the frame-closer to the motor possibly depending on which trans the fe had behind it...putting a 302/351w in one of those is pretty easy as most any part needed can be found off of a truck as new as 79

power steering units off of any f-100-150 even 250 from 73-79 will bolt on, but you must either shorten your column or use the 73-79 column and disc brakes are an easy full axle swap or swap at king pins...i did it, and others have as well...

The small block engine perchs will bolt in and are available in any Ford truck that had a small block up to 1979 at least. The frame swap would not net any advantage as the disk brakes mentioned before would not be on a 1970 F100. They didn't appear on F100s until 1973. The ibeam assembly on a 1973 to 79 truck will bolt in the place of the 1965's ibeams (I believe 1965 was the first year for the twin I beams, if it is a straight axle with leafs please disregard) and give you disk brakes. You will need the donor trucks proportioning valve, Master cylinder and brake booster as well for best results, though. All of this is a relatively cheap, easy upgrade since these parts should be readily available junkyard browse. I would recommend a c6 auto for a smallblock behind the 302 or 351W you have. An AOD or even a C4would also work, but the c6 is stronger for your heavy truck. Any manual would suffice though some are better for towing and not as friendly on the street. A NP 435 or a BW T-18 are the granny gear variety and the 3.03 Ford is the 3 on the tree. Any of these along with many more later model trannies will fit with the proper bellhousing.

As the others have pointed out, the small block swap is easily done, I did this exact same swap into a 65 Merc, 20 years ago. Used a 302 and C4 from a 70 Torino and swapped the entire Twin-I Beam axle setup from a 72 F150. As the guys also said, the 73-79 axles will give you disc brakes, definitely worth it. The 302 / C4 had more power than the old beat 352, used less gas and probably cut 150 lbs. off the front end, it sat about an inch higher.

Latest posts

Back