Ever wonder...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Did you ever wonder why you really don't see many old mechanics when you go to a repair shop? Some of us know why.
I really try to avoid this kind of thing but it's for my machinist. Yesterday I pulled a 6.5 diesel from a 95 3500 4x4. I was beginning to forget what I hated about this business. Now I really hope Chevy goes under, real quick.lol
But I still have to put in new bearings, seals and timing chain to freshen this engine up before I swap it into another blowed up Chuby. Did anyone else ever notice how many mid 90s Chevy 6.5 pickups are for sale with broken crankshafts or cracked heads? They are everywhere when you start looking.

Nope. I know why. With all the new computer crap and drive by wire The Common WRENCH is mystified. Now the younger guys that been keeping up from the beginning get burned out quick. Also it takes the NEWBIES a couple of years to realize that specialty tools will break them, and they keep coming up with NEW ones! By then they're no longer young and gullible.

A lot of parts changers now, Swap stuff untill its fixes/running. I have been a mechanic 25 years and its changed alot. Too technical now, thats why I drive a car with points and a carb so I can depend on it.
Tim

Around here there are a ton of diesel pickups around, and yea that is the biggest killer of a 6.5 . A local diesel tech around here started stuffin perkins diesel engines outta combines into chevy pickips. I helped install the exhaust, very cool retro-fit.

Back in the 80s I was really interested in the electronic aspect and all the computer stuff. But it was a tough go. I spent an average of probably 10 hours a week reading and taking classes. This was before OBD2 of course and the manufacturers were slow in releasing good info to the private sector. We got led down a lot of stupid rabbit trails. Then when I did begin to savvy a little and develop a diagnostic thought train I realized it was a mistake. You couldn't get paid for diagnostic time and every dipwad gomer wannabe parts swapper would be hopelessly buried in a drivability problem because OTC sold him a code reader. Then they start calling people who are rumored to know. Then when you start trying to walk them through diagnostics they would lie and tell you they checked something that they didn't. It was a nightmare and meanwhile all your customers would take their gravey work to the franchised shops like Midas.
I got out of the garage business in 92 but I have always been a mechanic only now I just do work for a few friends and family, pick and choose jobs.

Latest posts

Back