exhaust manifolds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the reverend muddy grimes

Brother Binder
ok, 350 heads never changed from the 60s through the mid to late 80s, right? I took the big bulky manifolds off for clearance issues, and put on the inverted ones off an 80s camaro. that solved all the problems, except the bolt holes dont line up. did I miss something?

Attachments

• manifolds 4.jpg
    manifolds 4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 35
ok, 350 heads never changed from the 60s through the mid to late 80s, right? I took the big bulky manifolds off for clearance issues, and put on the inverted ones off an 80s camaro. that solved all the problems, except the bolt holes dont line up. did I miss something?

Is it the Orange ones you are trying to use? I have never seen SBC manifolds with just a 2 bolt flange they look more like a ford 292 or 312 exhaust manifold.

the type you installed sometimes distort...

the ones you have painted orange look like from a mid-70's smog motor... with AIR pump.... the one's you put on will sometimes either spread or shrink where the bolts are not able to be started in some of the holes....(normally at the larger spaced area towards the end cylinders) you can sometimes open up the holds a bit to align or heat them slightly to get the bolts started on that end towards the back of motor that is usually the part where the bolts won't line up right.... might even have to put a small amount of pressure..(gently) to spread them to get the bolts started.... but honestly, the enlarge trick usually works pretty well.... at least it did for me... don't tighten any until they are all started.....

The ones that won't fit are most likely 305 smog manifolds. The 305s had a different bolt pattern on one end of the head. The holes are maybe a half inch further apart on that end. I think the newer model 350 heads had an extra hole for that reason. Or maybe they started using the 305 heads on the more smogged up 350s.

some of the heads have the extra bolt hole, some of the manifolds have double holes on then. the biggest problem i have run across is the older small blocks have the dip stick on the drivers side (most of them) and the newer ones have it on the passenger side, the manifolds you have will not work on the older block because it will block off your dip stick, the early 305's had the dip stick in the oil pan to be able to use them manifolds and i have a set with the two bolts on bottom on my v8 jimmy. n

Latest posts

Back