Exhaust wrap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have good or bad experience with exhaust wrap? Im thinking of wrapping my lake headers with the titanium colored wrap.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
Great stuff, I wrapped my exhaust pipe (4") which passes 1/4" away from the starter, it's been on there for 6 years now. I've wrapped headers before, you could put your hand on it when warmed up without burning (for a short time). Be sure to tuck in the ends properly and wrap as tightly as possible, don't let anything rub against it or it will fray.

I read someone complain and whine about using exhuast wrap on another site saying his engine was running 10-15* hotter with the wrap on. Anyone have issues with this? My engine is in a fenderless truck, I would think that would make a difference in a heat issue? Without the wrap my engine runs 190* and I plan on installing a 6-71 blower that im sure will add some more heat to the engine, Just afraid that it will push it past 220*

The only complaint I have heard is that the headers will rust underneath the wrap due to trapped moisture. Never used it myself, so I can't confirm that.

Don

The only complaint I have heard is that the headers will rust underneath the wrap due to trapped moisture. Never used it myself, so I can't confirm that.

Don

I've got it on my pipes, did use rust preventative just for the issue Don stated. I don't see any way it would, or could make engine temps go up?
I used it to help hold heat at the head to prevent valve warpage from cooling too fast!! And it also looks pretty neat!! ha ha

from http://www.stahlheaders.com/faq.htm#wrap

Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.

IMPORTANT: Use of header wraps will void any warranty.

More horror talk about wraps...

http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use-spg-138.html

If the above fear mongering is true, wraps promote superheating of the tubing. I expect a blower would aggravate the situation with higher exhaust temps. Makes sense, no? :confused:

I've been using it for years and my cars have run cooler probably because of lower under hood temperature. But I've also run it on an open wheel rod and never had any overheating issues. Plus I've had it on one car for over 15 years and the header haven't rusted. But I live in the southwest and humidity is not a problem.

I used it on a bike I built. Painted it black with their paint. They recommended that. It seemed to shrink the wrap tighter then you can wrap by hand that way.
I didn't ride the bike in the rain some wasn't worried about it trapping moisture. But one would figure if you got the wrap wet, but kept the engine running for a while, the moisture would evaporate.

On a opened wheeled rod, I wouldn't see a problem.

Thanks for all the tips, I dont plan on driving it in the rain or leaving them wet if they ever got wet so I think rust would not be a issue. Not a daily driver. I have burned my hands a few times and looking foward to eliminate that.

When I put it on my pipes I soaked it in water for a while before I wrapped them! When it drys, it's tight!! I just don't see how moisture could be an issue, especially on short pipes, there's too much heat to stay wet? I can drive in the rain and they never seem wet!!

Latest posts

Back