F100 gear box adjustment?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I used a late 40s- early 50s ford F100 gear box on my build. It has slop in it. Are these adjustable like a lot of the boxes that gm used on stuff? It's hard to see it where it's located. Anyone have any insight for me? I tried googling it and got several answers including saying to throw the box away and some saying to rebuild it.

Thanks

i have rebuilt a few ross/ford boxes and it wasnt that tough.
keep in mind that i am an idiot with no mechanical experience.
it almost certainly needs a rebuild.
they can be adjusted with the nut and screw that are on the side.
i will let others talk about preload etc.
i gotta go to work.

I just rebuilt a mustang box and set at 5-10 inch lbs preload. this is measured at the steering wheel side of the box while rotating the shaft. Go lock to lock and when the rotation is at the middle of the swing there should be a little drag that is when reading should be measured. Say it take 5 turns lock to lock the measure at 2 1/2 turns. Adjustment is made by backing off nut at opposite end of pitman arm and then screwing in the set screw. When preload is achieved then tighten down nut. Hope this helps.

I just rebuilt a mustang box and set at 5-10 inch lbs preload. this is measured at the steering wheel side of the box while rotating the shaft. Go lock to lock and when the rotation is at the middle of the swing there should be a little drag that is when reading should be measured. Say it take 5 turns lock to lock the measure at 2 1/2 turns. Adjustment is made by backing off nut at opposite end of pitman arm and then screwing in the set screw. When preload is achieved then tighten down nut. Hope this helps.

I will try this tomorrow and see what happens.

If I can find a place to rebuild it at a decent price that's what I will do.

Latest posts

Back