Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiatMoreTubes002.jpg

More tubes. Started framing the driveshaft tunnel. Also got the driveshaft hoop installed and some tubes for the right side seat belt mount.

FiatMoreTubes005.jpg

The Brown truck stopped this afternoon and delivered this hot rod gas tank. Made by RCI, purchased from Summit. Looks like a well made unit.

FiatFloorFraming006.jpg

Got the gas tank mounts and straps done. Also built a battery frame and mounted the Holley fuel pump.
The pic shows more framing for the floor, firewall, trans and driveshaft tunnel. There will be foot boxes up forward to make a little more room inside the tiny Fiat body.
The gauges will probably be mounted on the trans cover.

LDG, I see you're in the Frankensteiners. I'm impressed with that club. They know how to have a good time and not take things too seriously.

FiatFloorFraming002.jpg

All I've been showing is tubes. So, here is some angle iron with holes in it.:D
Should be ready to do some aluminum work shortly. It will be a nice change.

I know what you mean about doing one part of a build for so long , a change is always good . I know after I have to sand or something for a week or so I feel like I will never finish . It is always nice to get to move on to something else .

FIatMoreFloor008.jpg

Got some of the firewall and floor aluminum cut out and set in place. Tomorrow I'll sneak into my friend Barry's shop and use his brake. All the cutting was done with a large duck billed snips and an aircraft snips.

FIatMoreFloor007.jpg

The strange looking half round areas at the firewall are an attempt to provide some foot room in this little car.

FIatMoreFloor007.jpg

The strange looking half round areas at the firewall are an attempt to provide some foot room in this little car.

With foot room at such a premium, why are you making the transmission tunnel so big? It seems like a tighter fitting tunnel would also help gain some people space.

The problem is front to back. At the front the foot box is just 1/2" away from the transmission. I need room for a blanket around the trans (not in the converter area), in case this thing runs fast enough at the drag strip. At floor level the floor is very close to the trans. Moving the tin closer to the trans up higher doesn't gain space where it is most needed, which is at the pedals. The front roll cage uprights are only 38" apart. It's a very narrow car!

That is a narrow car! Hope you have tiny feet.... I realize it is your chosen design to have a tall tunnel over the trans but wouldn't you gain a lot more room by having it lower and curving it over the tranny and bellhousing area ? Then your gas pedal foot could angle over some to get away from the brake.
Just my 2 cents worth..
BTW, this is one of my favorite builds, some real craftsmanship and independent thinking at work here !![cl Keep the good stuff coming ![P

Bob - what guage aluminum are you using? I need to buy some soon. You going to rivet it to the frame?

I don't know how you are staying sane cutting and fitting all that round tubing together. I hate working with it! Looks good though.

Bob will they let you use a SFI shield around the case instead of having to use a blanket ? you may be able to manipulate the shield to help your cause

FiatFormedFloor007.jpg

My size 7 feet are pretty small. Unfortunately, they're about as wide as they are long. It isn't much different than 3 pedals in a Austin Healy Sprite or an MG Midget. Should be ok since I'm not going to be taking any cross country trips in the thing.

The tunnel aluminum measures .043" thick and the floor measures .054". It is 5052 so fairly stiff. It can be rolled and bent in a brake without cracking. I doubt any compound curves can be made without annealing however.

The dash panel is .040" 6061 aluminum. Very hard and not bendable. All the material is from the "drops" area at the steel yard and therefore about half price. Much less selection though, that's why I have such a mixture.

Gregster, I could use a trans shield instead of a blanket. I already have a blanket, though if a shield would make a signifigant space savings I would switch. Cockpit room is fine for someone my size except for the foot box area. If I drive it with my old ballet slippers it will be fine.

Last edited:
FiatFormedFloor003.jpg

A few years ago I discovered these wild turkey hunting stand seat cushions at the Fleet Farm store. They provide the perfect custom redneck seats and for a low price too. A low seat riser needs to be built along with a seat back. When drag racing the cushion will be removed so I sit low enough to keep my helmet the required 3" below rear roll cage hoop.

Big Irish, I LOVE bending tubing and the notching is going well with the notcher my friend Jim from Hotlanta gave me. BTW, if you can find 3003 aluminum for a reasonable price, it is very formable.

Parts arrived for the Plymouth pickup project today. So I won't be making any progress on the Fiat for a few days.

Last edited:
PlyReassembly007.jpg

Since Christmas Eve is a kinda slow news time...here's a pic of the aluminum panels that make up part of the floor, firewall, back panel and seats. There's a lot more to do. The hard part is sealing off the people area from the engine compartment and the rear area.

After all the aluminum is done it's on to cutting functional doors into the body. That's the part of the project that bothers me the most.

PlyReassembly010.jpg

The doors will be hardtop style. I won't be cutting out around the top on the window. That should simplify the process. There will be a 3" to 4" rocker panel area below the door cutout to maintain body strength.

Latest posts

Back