Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt that paint dry enuf to start putting something back together?[cl

still looking good, but i really dont think the "name" will be accepted by your peers here on RRR;)

now go get that painting done...

we are ready to see it all come together[P

I just read the entire thread! What an inspiration for guys without a "fancy" shop, just essential tools and a LOT of experience! Thanks for keeping up with the build. I look forward to seeing more! [P

-Andrew

Swivels004.jpg

So far I haven't installed the bars that run diagonally from the shoulder to the floorboard. These tubes will make getting in and out of the Fiat very difficult for this old man. NHRA permits removable or swing out bars in this location. The problem is, that is true for oem stock bodied cars. Obviously, the Fiat is not. I'm counting on the drag strip techs being lienient on this issue.
Not wanting to spend a few hundred bucks for pro-made swivel clevises, I rummaged through my steel supply and came up with enough plate and tubing to make what I need. I made two male and two female clevises today. The female part took three pieces and the male part is made up of five peces.
The plan is to put the bars in only when heading for the drag strip.
For the home builder; I made these parts using an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, a drill press, hole saw, belt sander, hand files and a MIG welder. The pieces are weldments instead of machined parts.

Reassembly009.jpg

Today was a banner day as it marked the beginning of the assembly process. I changed the front springs from 9" tall, 450# to 10" tall 350#. Even though the shocke are designed for 10" springs I had to use a spring compressor for struts to install them.
Also had to put that sticky urethane lube on all the bushings. Hate that stuff.

Wiring007.jpg

Seemed like it would be a good time to do the wiring, with everything exposed. Been running wires for a few days now. I solder and shrink tube every terminal so it takes me a bit longer. Even a simple car like this has a lot of wires. When everything is done I'll wrap it into looms. Won't look so messy then.

Thankyou everyone whom has made complimentary comments. It is appreciated.

Wow Bob,.........like, just wow! I'll be absconding a few of your ideas and procedures for my own Fiat build. I'm so impressed, with the ideas and creativity you have incorporated into your car. I'm looking at a little different end route, but you have touched on a lot of the same problems I've run into, and came up with solutions that are working out quite well. Not having to reinvent the wheel is going to help a long way with a quicker, easier, build project for the rest of us. A Big thank you.:D

FiatFuelLine002.jpg

Seems like I've been wiring for weeks. Almost done however. Waiting for some gauges and that will be the last of it. My plan to run the fuel line inside the bottom tube of the frame worked out well. I sprayed some dry lube in the pipe and the aluminum fuel line slid in easily as I uncoiled it. It reminded me of all the angiograms and angioplasties I've had, where the Doc slides the catheter up the femoral artery. I like this better though.
Thanks for the kind remarks fellas. Looking forward to your Fiat build Sniper. Do you have an original body?

FiatFuelLine003.jpg

I got some heavy welding cable for next to nothing so I used it for battery cable. It is major overkill but so what? Also visible is the NHRA required master cut off switch.
The fuel line is visible in the lower left of the pic.

Hi Bob, No, I have a fiberglass body with a bit of race history behind it. I don't know much about it though, tried searching the net for info on it. I do know it came out of Gainsville Florida and was campaigned by Abbot Racing. I also know it has changed hands a number of times from when they sold it, with no one doing anything with it, it just kept getting moved along. I looked at this one about a year and a half ago, and had to say no at the time. The guy selling it then, wanted to much for it. And I already had a bunch of raw material on hand and molds started, so it was getting out of hand price wise. Flash forward a year and I hear that a local father/son team have a Fiat body for sale. Checked it out, and it's the same one with new owners. Wheeled and dealed and ended up with it for exactly half the price that the other guy said he was firm on.:D Guess I was meant to get it. Anyway, I've been watching what you have been up to with great interest. As stated earlier, you have already solved a couple of problems I had come across while I was thinking this thing through. I'll start a thread when I really get doing something with it. Thanks again.

DashDone003.jpg

I got some cheapie gauges from Summit. The fuel gauge has a black bezel but I had it so I'm using it.
All the wiring is complete except for engine connections. I took the 406 short block apart for cleaning & inspection. The crank journals do not pass the thumbnail test so off it goes for grinding. A couple wrist pins are tight. They loosen up if I heat them with heat gun, to about 90 degrees.

FiatLatest002.jpg

The narrowed 9" rear end in in place as is the 3 link and springs. Brake lines are done. New wheel cylinders, shoes, pinion yoke & seal. New axle seals for the Strange billet axles too. It has a 3.50 limited slip gear.
Also installed the used B & M shifter and cable, the trans cooler and lines.
I dropped off the two piston/rods with tight wrist pins to have them refitted. Probably some crap got in there and galled the pin bore in the pistons.
Assembly is going much slower than anticipated but it has been a lot of fun. There is lots of assembly remaining, But the most undesireable job will be finishing and detailing the interior of the body.

Hey Bob that's looking real good! Question for you...is the 3 link rear triangulated in any way? Just curious because I used to help a guy setup suspensions like that in the 80's - 90's for tube chassis drag cars.

-Troy

Latest posts

Back