Fiberglass bodies.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2T

Still running with scissors!
the smallest town in the smallest county in the s
OK, How many of you are using fiberglass bodies on your hot rod? Don't worry, I'm not from the Traditional Police Farce.........Infact I am building a fiberglass RPU myself.......I just would like to see what everyone else is building.
I have a friend that builds the "T" bodies for Total Performance and builds others he sells himself..........here he is working on my '27 RPU, you can see in the picture he is making it wider by about 4 inches so it will fit on my '32 frame rails.........
100_1736.jpg

Here it is sitting on my '32 pick up frame.....................the '27 RPU is powered by a 59 Nailhead.

100_2160.jpg

OK, Let's see your fiberglass Rats.......................

Check with Don, he is the fiberglass master guru builder guy of the century. He has a great thread on his build from begining to end. Check it out......... Still Making Progress On My T

Last edited:
Nice looking build, well, I'm working on a 29 rpu(fiberglass) I've got pictures over on my build page, it's been slow going lately but at least when i get down I can go out and sit in and turn up the stereo in the garage. I feel better all ready.
Here's the body when I picked it up from the company I bought it from

Attachments

• 2_05_7.jpg
    2_05_7.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Check with Don, he is the fiberglass master guru builder guy of the century. He has a great thread on his build from begining to end. Check it out......... Still Making Progress On My T

Boy CD, those checks I have been sending you are really paying off.:rolleyes::DI just wish I was half as good as you said......you weren't around when my resin ate up my styrofoam tranny tunnel. :eek: But thanks anyway. :)

After doing three fiberglass cars now, I can say that anyone who feels doing fiberglass is taking the easy way out doesn't know what they are talking about. You hear all these "kit car" references, as if the body shows up on Friday and by Sunday you have it all done.........nothing could be further from the truth. Anyone who has done one knows how much time and effort go into making them strong and straight.

On the other hand, I have fought rust all of my life on various cars, and that is hard work too. Sometimes you think you have it all gone and a while later those little bubbles start to reappear. Both steel and fiberglass have their own pluses and minuses.

I like the way your RPU body is starting to look, and the extra room will be great to have. These things are tight anyway, so even a few more inches helps a lot. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Don

T2T, If yo go to the BS Lounge section and look at the top "sticky" thread titled Kool Car Photos, on the last page is post # 475. The grey roadster is my '27 lakes style roadster and the black one is my son's '27 with a turtledeck. Mine has working doors. Putting the skin and inner structure together with hinges, latches and wood was the hardest part. I used 6" formed channel for the frame. It has been tapered, bulged and boxed. It allowed me to put in a dropped floor and keep my face out of the breeze a bit.

Don's the man!

T2T,
Yeah, Don is the man when it comes to glass body stuff. Think I saw a whole thread on how he does his & it's definitely worth checking out! Your rod really looks cool & I look forward to watching your threadd!

ISore

Last edited:
I hate to keep posting pictures of this, but since you asked for pics of glass cars, here ya go Mr. TuTone. My coupe is fiberglass with a steel hood and grill shell. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise.

This is a JRS body on a SAC chassis. Needed a lot of fit and finish work. Turns out the stock height roof cars are chopped cars where the roof is raised. Lots of problems with fitment of the doors.
DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Some really sweet rides........glass is an art form many do not want to deal with. Very time consuming and your work can be quickly be trashed with a bad mix of gue. Twice as long over tin bending for time, and not open to much in simple mistakes. I stuck with building boats in my earlier days with glass, never had the courrage to build a car. Boats was enough head ache for the time frame it took alone to be successful, much alone in building a ride to run on the streets.:eek::cool:Hats off to the glass man on wheels.

:DMaximo:p

After doing three fiberglass cars now, I can say that anyone who feels doing fiberglass is taking the easy way out doesn't know what they are talking about. You hear all these "kit car" references, as if the body shows up on Friday and by Sunday you have it all done.........nothing could be further from the truth. Anyone who has done one knows how much time and effort go into making them strong and straight.

Don

Easy way out?? No way ...you still have alot of leveling and body mesaging to do not to mention getting everything to line up....a lot of work goes into a fiberglass body...I see it as a easier way to get the body style you want...with the price of the steel bodies skyrocketing and becomming harder to come by....glass is a lil easier on the pocket book...

Here's my latest project...26RPU...MainStreet Rod body(before sold to Old Dog)...PM if ya need any info

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Tom, My little shop is only 20x24,but I've managed to cram a lot of stuff in it.!!
I did not build the hinges,but I've reworked them so much that I might as well have built them from scratch...It's the same story with the body,I've had to do a ton of work to get it this far..After reinforcing the shell,reworking the doors,dash,floor,liner,hinges,etc not to mention the tubing,adhesives,'glas materials & resins...'glas bodies are not as cheap as everyone thinks...I did,however ,learn how to work with 'glas and it's a very interesting medium...It'll teach you patience,if nothing else....also the value of longsleeve shirts,duct tape and a quick shower after grinding it !!!

Stan

T2T: Here's a few more pics...don't have too many pics of the hinges tho..
Stan

Attachments

• DSC00758.jpg
    DSC00758.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00631.jpg
    DSC00631.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00759.jpg
    DSC00759.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00771.jpg