Fileing welds?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave50

If i have some welds to file down etc what do use is there a air filer, I know the round body grinders are common now but a guy told me he would file it all down but never told with what IK nothing about body work any help would be aprreciated thanks

Flapper disk on an angle grinder is what I use. Then I move to a flat disk on my air. If it's body panels, don't grind in one spot, move around a lot or it will heat up and warp the metal.

Dont buy the flap disks from harbor frieght they suck

No HF here in Canada, but I will attest to buying a good brand name will get you farther along then trying to save a few pennies. I had recently built a pair of bumpers, went through 4 cheap ones on the front bumper and went through one good one on the rear.

Norton has some quality products, you can find those at Home Depot or Lowes.

Fourney is another with quality products......

Grit will depend on what type of metal you are workin on and finish surface desired....

Ok Thanks.....

Flap disks are okay in my opinion but are rather expensive.

Best bang for buck are sanding disks for the grinder.

Use a 3M backer, most costly part, around $20

Then ask your supplier if they carry ARC abrasives. IWS in Slidell LA does carry them and they are inexpensive, around $1 each. Make sure you ask for the coated disk. This is not your typical coating, this coating makes the disk white, looks almost like they dipped it in wax.

Coating is a coolant and lubricant that, as you sand/grind, melts and keeps the disc from loading up. I have use 3500 of these over the last 4 months and am seeing 3x the life compared to flapper discs and regular sanding discs.

Don't worry the coating does not turn to a liquid nor does it leave residue.

If all else fails PM me and I can get you more info if interested. I am not a salesman for these so this is not an add.

I was looking for a better disc and to me these things are the cats meow.

Thanks for the insight goose-em. I'll have to look into those Arc disks for my grinder...

Ok guys where do i start i wnt to file or grind this down so i can have the bare metal look do i have to weld anymore ??? etc Thanks for any help guys I am a engine builder and machinst not a metal or body guy but i got to learn Oh and this is the first pics of my build i have put here too :)

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 32
http://http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Dave,

Above is a link to metalmeet where if you search on welding you'll find a lot of specific info on what o do. Basically:

Use a die grinder with a 1/8" thick cut off wheel to knock the heads off the MIG welds. Use the edge of the wheel and grind each weld almost flush, but not below flush.

Put tacks next to and touching the tacks you already have. Skip around and don't build up too much heat in any area. Grind those tacks with the die grinder then do it again and again until it is all welded and ground.

Final leveling can be done with a flap wheel or grinding/sanding disc followed by a DA with 80 grit. For a nice bare metal look use the DA with 220 grit or a Scotchbirte pad.

Latest posts

Back