filler ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

My gf bought a 69 chevelle in pieces. The car was done in 84 and it was done really well. All the existing paint is bubbling off so i removed it and there was no rust holes. It also had laquar primer so sanded it all off as well. My question is underneath the existing filler there is a black oily like residue. I stripped both quater pannels to bear metal and found this. I believe the rest of the car is like it as well. I was only plan on fixing a few bad spots. I can do body work so stripping the hole car to bare metal is not a problem. I just dont realy want to get to deep into the car as were on a buget.

what is the black stuff underneath the oringal filler and do need to be removed or is it ok to leave the existing filler on

I wouldn't want anything but very clean metal if i were goin to paint it !!!
Too much work to let it happen again :)

you never know what it is...sounds like a cool car you would not want someting to compromise the integrity of the filler, also I would get the undelying metal as close as possible just use a skim coat as little as possible. I would remove it.

They might have wiped it down prior to filler

with some sort of phospate solution....water soluable but leaves a black area near rust...(sort of a rust converter but used more so on bare metal prior to powder coating) could have been trapped under the filler and reacted to the filler or hardner....may never have come thru the filler or primer...just a guess.....

Latest posts

Back