finally drug this out after 31 a year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
this was my families 50 GMC that we moved from CA with in 1978. It has sat in the field (now woods) since 1981. I drug it out after talking about doing something with it for the last 10 years. The tractor is just going for scrap though I will save some of the 1" thick plate off of it for tool building. I am not much for tractor grilles but this thing has some cool curves and such so Flipper might actually talk me into cutting them out to use on something![cl[;)
50truck004.jpg

50truck003.jpg

50truck002.jpg

50truck001.jpg

That is almost exactly the same as what I started with on my project. I got over 450.00 for the steel in the frame,bed and axles sold as prepared iron. I kept the rest for my project. Hopefully yours
will not be full of Wood rat debri and the awful urine smell.LOL! Mine had sat since 87.

I had talked of a car hauler but I don't think it will happen on my new pay rate. The only issue with the tractor grille is the center is solid cast iron 3/4" thick. I will have to remake it and save the emblem.

Speaking of emblems, I got 3 good ones off of the crane (1950 dealer add on), the tractor bucket and cab (both USA made in MA).

I was thinking of dropping the cab on my 90 chevy chassis that is running the 5.3L silverado motor already. then save the axles for a roadster build with my extra 35 ford cab. [;)

The motor is stuck so that will probably go to the yard. The crane I have a wacky idea of making a frame to mount it in the corner of my shop, run the pump off an electric motor, and use it inside to pick up the big stuff! I would probably get $350 for scrap but the oh Sh*t factor of using it inside would be cool![cl

Here is a day time pic of the truck. And the pic in the lake is the last summer it was driven in 1981![cl

And I have been busy cutting up the parts tractor. I ran out of gas for the torches so it is time to load up some steel and scrap it so I can buy more gas![;)

Attachments

• 50 truck 006.jpg
    50 truck 006.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 60
  • giffins gmc truck.jpg
    giffins gmc truck.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 68
  • tractor pieces.jpg
    tractor pieces.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 69
so just the bucket and arms netted $200 for 1800 lbs. That paid for the gas up and back and 2 cylinders of welding / oxy gas. [cl

That tractor grille is pretty cool.

I saved the grille though I will have to re make the center out of sheet metal. It is 1" thick cast iron right now[;)

I have an idea that kind of robs bits of other projects on the RRR. Take the 50 2 Ton frame and front axle, do it underslung, keep the 20" duallies all around, use my cad 500 th400, 69 chevy step side bed canter, use the 35 ford cab that has the bent roof and turn it into a roadster, use the Minapolis Moline grille, hood and sides (all heavily modified to fit new application). what do ya'll think O that?

have to get the tractor gone first, then start on the truck. anyone need a very large front spindle mount front axle? only 6 hours work to get to here with only a torch and hand tools![cl

Attachments

• tractor pieces2.jpg
    tractor pieces2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
  • tractor pieces1.jpg
    tractor pieces1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
hope it's warmer than it looks!!

have to get the tractor gone first, then start on the truck. anyone need a very large front spindle mount front axle? only 6 hours work to get to here with only a torch and hand tools![cl

6 hours in the cold don't sound like fun....no matter how hot the torch got....:D

Latest posts

Back