Finally picked up a new project.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

Okay so after I had to sell my ford and things started to go down hill. Ive had to buy crappy vehicle after vehicle because they're are all crap. Well things started to look up with a new job that I liked and the my ford ranger ate the transmission so I was in search of another small truck. I accidently found a......Dont laugh! 1980 chevy luv 2wd long bed. The best part is that it runs and drives great and its from Arkansas so the body is really solid. Then I got the idea that I could drive this ine back to work and make it a little project to. I know it isnt an old pre whatever car but its cool, its got round headlights, and You dont see them in IL ever.
Ill have pics up tommorow more then likley. If you want to imagine it for laughing sake just imagine a powder blue chevy luv with original hubcaps and southern patina.

Funny story.....

Okay so after I had to sell my ford and things started to go down hill. Ive had to buy crappy vehicle after vehicle because they're are all crap. Well things started to look up with a new job that I liked and the my ford ranger ate the transmission so I was in search of another small truck. I accidently found a......Dont laugh! 1980 chevy luv 2wd long bed. The best part is that it runs and drives great and its from Arkansas so the body is really solid. Then I got the idea that I could drive this ine back to work and make it a little project to. I know it isnt an old pre whatever car but its cool, its got round headlights, and You dont see them in IL ever.
Ill have pics up tommorow more then likley. If you want to imagine it for laughing sake just imagine a powder blue chevy luv with original hubcaps and southern patina.

I was turning wrenches in the Chevy dealer when the "Luv" truck started being sold in the US.... had to replace all the wheel bearings and lubes in the things because the grease was fish oil based and bearings were failing like "flounders"......lol

I for one would love to see it. Im planning on doing a Rat style project using a 1992 Ranger.Anything I do is most likely going to be newer iron.Good Luck with it.[P[;):cool:

I was turning wrenches in the Chevy dealer when the "Luv" truck started being sold in the US.... had to replace all the wheel bearings and lubes in the things because the grease was fish oil based and bearings were failing like "flounders"......lol
ha ha nice. Yeah this one is due for some tlc for sure.

I for one would love to see it. Im planning on doing a Rat style project using a 1992 Ranger.Anything I do is most likely going to be newer iron.Good Luck with it.[P[;):cool:
ill get pics up before work in the a.m.

I want to think of an engine swap that will be fuel efficient and drivable. Don't get Newton this one runs and drive great but 55 is slow on the interstate by todays standard. The lil carb 4 hanger is pretty cool looking but its a dog. I have a bunch of left over 4g63t parts in the garage.....hehehehe

In Il. it will self destruct in a couple years, that's why you don't see any in the rust belt.

I inherited a 77' Luv when I turned 16, Dad had bought it new and drove the H*!! out of it, even hauled hay with it and only had it a week.lol(hay truck blew the motor) tough little trucks if you can keep em running, points,fuel pumps, melting wiring were just some of their troubles.They look real good with a V8 in them. Still have a rough 72', that I never got around to shoe horning one in.

As to the longevity of the body in IL, I plan on paint to seal her up and uder coating the frame. I think its to cool of a truck to let rot.

This was my old LUV truck! Blew the 4-bang up at 100K & my bro-in-law & I dropped in a 350 horse 327/4-speed. That sucker was *very* fast. Only got beat once... on the 1st night I got it running a AA Fueler wrench dusted me in his bad '69 Camero. Sadly after I got it straightened out I never got to return the favor. Back then they made a V8 swap kit for them! I ran some big chrome side pipes & had it lowered! Wish I had it back!!!

BoB

Attachments

• LUVTruck.jpg
    LUVTruck.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 35
Its got real nice patina but I would hate for it to rot. Im not exactley sure what direction I want to take I but I know I want to.slam her and do some sort of engine swap that will allow me to make the car more drivable.

The first real project I did was a Luv V8 swap. My daily driver. Put in a 283 with a powerglide that had bad planetary gears. Made noise like a gear drive and I got got tired of it real quick. I put in a Saginaw 3 speed with overdrive and then really had some fun.The truck came with 4.10 gears and the overdrive was perfect for it. It got better highway milage than it ever did with the 4 banger and was a ball stoplight to stoplight. I would think a small
V8 and a T5 5 speed would be a good combo today.

I'm with Ol Blue. Small V8 and a T5.

If you want any vehicle to last in IL, you don't drive it during salt season. And that liquid stuff they use now is the worst.

Waiting for pics.

I hear you on the v8, part of the selling point with the wifey was the mpg,lol. Im going to go run around the junkyard and craigslist to see what I can find. I found a 4.4 out of a malibu for perty cheap. Im starting to find there is a huge aussie following with these 4 bangers in there and they are pretty neat engines. One guy has itb from a yamaha r1.

Really, I like how the bed looks longer with the box off. Most people like the short beds but I like how long it will look once I slam it.

Does it have the Isuzu 4 banger??

I hear you on the v8, part of the selling point with the wifey was the mpg,lol. Im going to go run around the junkyard and craigslist to see what I can find. I found a 4.4 out of a malibu for perty cheap. Im starting to find there is a huge aussie following with these 4 bangers in there and they are pretty neat engines. One guy has itb from a yamaha r1.

those ran pretty smooth and the only problem was timing chains and tensioners wearing out..... but the v8 would be slick.... don't tell the wife about the swap..... yeah..right...:eek: she'll know soon enough....

yeah, I am still in the planning stage. I found a good 700r4 for 100 and a running carb to pan 4.4 for 250 obo. Im thinking that I can still get 20 mpg out of the 4.4 in this tiny truck. I only drive 65 on the highway and I would probaly swap to some higher geared rear end. I am not trying to build a fast race truck. My only hitch right now is that when I close my eyes and think about cool....everybody and theyre mother has a sbc. The first thing everyone would thing is I wonder if he has a sbc. I want to suprise people, I want it to be drivable, I want it to be old school. Add all that up and I think the isuzu g180 with quad carbs and a trooper 5 speed hits the nail on the head.

As far as the rest is coming up in my mind right now I am thinking dropping it down about 4 inches or more, painting the 14" steelies with moon caps, custom roll pan, some sort of old cool junkyard front bumper, caddy emblem on the front grill.

Latest posts

Back