finned drums

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has any none found a front or rear drum other than buicks to run on ford spindles with 40's ford backing plates that will give you the same look and better brakes

Not sure about other styles of drums but as my dad and I found out Lincoln backing plates work perfect and you don't have to machine the drums to fit.

well the only reason I ask is that buick drums are getting a little hard to find and I would like that look with the ability to get replacement parts and still have good brakes with out going disk. The car I am building is a 28 Jordan but most of the suspension and runing gear will be ford as with everything now days the budget is alittle tight.

I know what you mean about Buick drums being hard to find. The ones on our Model A were butchered to crap buy a local machine shop. Luckly my uncle had a few left over from his days of mod racin back in the 60's,so he sold us 2 more.I'll do some searchin see if there are more out there.

Thanks I have been researching this for some time now and have plenty of ford spindles and backing plates for the front end that me and a bud streached and dropped the other night I just have to believe that their are some other drums out their that will work that are more plentiful plus we will need a set for his project

Early '60's Ford 3/4 ton pickup front brakes can be made to work on early Ford spindles, and they're self-energizing.

I know what you mean about Buick drums being hard to find. The ones on our Model A were butchered to crap buy a local machine shop. .

I had the same thing happen to me. I had two pairs get butchered. I had to buy a third pair and a third machine shop to get it right :mad:.

Are the 60's 3/4 truck drums finned,I would just hate to buy so many buicks just get a good set as stated buy you guy's earlier,I know they still produce tons of new ones that are finned from cast for ton's of different applications just finding that application is the tuff part:)

ive got a set of 12" gm front drums they are finned and have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern they are cast iron though not aluminum but look almost identical to alum. ones, i bought em at a swapmeet for 10.00 bucks the tag on em says 1962 olds?? ill post a pic and maybe someone on here can tell ya what they are, for a cheaper alternative. dp1

ive got a set of 12" gm front drums they are finned and have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern they are cast iron though not aluminum but look almost identical to alum. Ones, i bought em at a swapmeet for 10.00 bucks the tag on em says 1962 olds?? Ill post a pic and maybe someone on here can tell ya what they are, for a cheaper alternative. Dp1

i know you veterans of hot rod are bound to know something, i don't care if their cast iron i just want the look and good reliablity.

The Ford truck drums are not finned, but the Buick drums will work. Not what you wanted to know, since you can't find 'em!

dug the drums out today gonna clean em up a bit and get a photo for ya, for your fronts. also for the rear depending on the rear end you are running, the buick grand nationals and some monte ss' came with finned aluminum 9 inch rear drums, there are also steel finned drums for the rear on s10 trucks and rear wheel drive cutlass' n regals. for the small gm rear axle.

Buick drums

I did some fast checking and had no problem finding them.I checked Rock Auto and they show several different styles on there site.Steel finned..alum.with steel inside with fins too.Prices started at 37.00 and went up...

I did some fast checking and had no problem finding them.I checked Rock Auto and they show several different styles on there site.Steel finned..alum.with steel inside with fins too.Prices started at 37.00 and went up...

Thank you guy's for responding I guess I must be a duffess I use rock auto to research things as well, I guess I must not know the correct application to be looking for thought I knew, I had found the the others that were mentioned a couple of post back and cn make those work it was just the front that was giving me fitts. Is it 58 buick fronts

Talked to my uncle this weekend about his buick drums.He's got some left but they have a few fins that are broken off and 2 pair that have been redrilled for wide 5 pattern for the old mod wheels.Probly not what your lookin for.I know in the past I've seen 90 fin buick drums too.A little cheaper than the 45 fin but not as cool.

I am using buick finned drums and ford 2 truck backing plates (self energizing), on ford spindles with bearing adaptors that allow me to use the Buick hub and bearings that comes on the Buick drum.

I have re-drilled mine to fit my front wheels. The cool thing about the Ford f-2 backing plates (I think 53-56) is that they bolt right on to the ford spindles. I think I am using chevy wheel cylinders.

I wish I could tell you all the part numbers but I cant, I dont remember.:eek:

Latest posts

Back