First Build - Powerplant Suggestions!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opie45

Can you guys give me your opinions for my powerplant on my first build. I'm looking to do this on a tight budget. I'm thinking chevy small block 350 probably with a 4 or 5 manual trans. I don't know anything about rear ends (except for the 2 legged type in tight jeans!) so i'm not sure what to start looking for. There are some 350's with trans on craigslist in my area - but not sure of the pros and cons, or what I should be looking for that will bolt up easy and will run good, look good and sound good!

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMGA0227.JPG
    IMGA0227.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 57
Well this is my opinion for what it's worth. On a first build with a tight budget, you can't go wrong with the small block Chevy. They fit nicely, are cheap, and all kinds of speed and dress up parts are readily available for a fair price. When you ask a question like this you'll get a wide variety of opinions but in the end you have to choose what will work for you after weighing the options. Just don't let people talk you out of using what you want because of what "they" think is cool.

If you are on a really, really, tight budget your best buy is a SBC crate engine. But if you want to build one yourself and I don't blame you, still go with a SBC. Nothing more satisfying then hearing something you built fire up.

Nothing wrong with a 350/350 combo, parts are readily available almost anywhere and at reasonable prices. S10 rear ends are a good choice, cheap and plentiful.

SBC kits are less then $1K with a great deal of extra bells and whistles.
Just remember to go over the heads with a fine tooth comb, and remember to check ALL passages for left over gunk. Just the smallest amount of gunk will trash a set of bearings and kerplunk goes the whole mess.:eek:
Have fun, building engines is one of my favorite past times.:D

You would be amazed at how much HP you can achieve from that old cast inline setting in the rails already. If you are really going to get into the beaster, IMO, I would fabricate my own intake with some added carbs and maybe slap a small blower to the cast beaster too.
Them older cast iron crates are good for building sleeper engines.:rolleyes:
Maximo

think used?

A great source for a decent budget driveline is a ratty/rusty slightly wrecked old car that still runs & drives. There are still a lot out there, at least around here. Sometimes the family will finally part with that old girl that's been sitting alongside the garage for years. Honestly, if you can get the whole car, then you can get it running and maybe drivable enough to see how the engine and transmission is. You may also be able to use the rear end out of the car (or truck) and other goodies too. So for a few hundred bucks, you may have a LOT of parts (even electrical, steering column, brake parts, etc) that you can repurpose for your rat rod.

That being said, don't limit yourself to Chevy donors, or even GM ones. Check your local papers, auto trader, craigslist, etc. and let us know what you come up with! On a budget, as long as you start with a solid drivetrain, you are bucks up, Chevy or not!

One more thing - if this rod is only going to be driven occasionally, why does the engine need to be rebuilt or a new crate motor? My most reliable car right now is an unrestored original '79 Buick Skyhawk. Except for using a fair bit of motor oil, I've driven it from Maryland to Myrtle Beach, SC with no problems at all.

440shorty

Thanks 440shorty - not a half bad idea. Man am i kicking myself right now for getting rid of my 72 buick skylark back in the late 80's! The body was completely trashed but the motor/trans was awesome!

I am thinking like 440, except I was thinking an old chevy pickup. You might find a 4 speed tranny, rear end, and 350 engine all in one $500. dollar truck.

I also agree with 440. Go with what you can find. A whole donor car will probably save a lot of hassle and money in the long run compared to piecing the drivetrain together one part at a time. I wouldn't even stop at Chevy trucks, at least for a drivetrain - an old Ford truck with a 460, 3sp, and 9" rear would be monster (if you can afford 4mpg :rolleyes:). Heck, if you happened find something cheap with an automatic, you could use it for the time being and make the switch to an manual down the road.

I also agree with the others on the 350 - it's a great budget motor. Good power, decent mpg, and lots of fairly priced parts.

i tell everyone doing there first rod to go with the sbc. they are simple, parts can be bought at kmart, everyone can help when you have a problem, cheap, fast, dependable, lots of speed stuff,,,,,its like a sore pecker, you can beat it!:)

SCORE!!!

I found this F350 about 100 miles from my house for 500 bucks and drove it home no problems! Its got a really nice, very strong 360 (i think) motor with a 4 speed manual. Its got all the goodies that i need to get my rat moving! The engine also sport chrome valve covers and chrome headers!

Attachments

• DSCN1757_sm.jpg
    DSCN1757_sm.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1760_sm.jpg
    DSCN1760_sm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
great score

Bonehead was right - all for 500 bucks. If you decide not to use the heavy duty 1-ton running gear, you should be able to resell it. The 1-ton stuff (especially the rear) is fairly universal, and was used for many years. Might get a couple hundred bucks for the rest of the truck!

And it's not a Chevy! I like it! :D

440shorty

Great score! My first truck was a '68 F250 with a 360. Very strong and durable motor...always fired right up, even on the coldest winter day. Expect low oil pressure, but extremely reliable. You will have no troubles reselling the body & chassis, too.

Latest posts

Back