first rat rod idea, what do u think

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodyman101

im excited to start my first rat rod build, even though it will be a long road, i dont know what year the pieces are that i have, one looks like a dodge cowl, and the other is im guessing a roadster body. i thought about combining the two and making it a rat rod, im going to list a pic, any information on the pieces or ideas and tips are greatly appreciated, ill have to build or modify a frame as well,
ratrodidea.jpg

I think you got a killer start with those parts and pieces.[cl

Fabbing up some doors shouldnt be that hard. Cardboard patterns are the ticket here.:D

Build yourself a custom z-frame.[;)

I wish my cab was in half that good of shape when I started.[dr

Keep the pictures coming and good luck on your build.[P

thanks, i cant decide if i want to put the roadster body on the back, or make a truck bed for it, what is a z frame exactly? and i was thinking i could get a builders title for it or something, good thinking on the title

im going to take the cowl off the original frame soon, and start repairing and welding things, ill make sure to have pics ready for you guys. the frame and suspension is worrying me a bit

hmm, i dunno ill think on it. i just dig the tiny beds for some reason, lol if i do decide to sell it whats the back work? i have no idea lol can anyone give me tips on frames

-----\_____/-----

Not a very good drawing but hope you get the basic idea of the Z'd frame.[S

Rear should kick up a little higher than the front. Z'd frames lower the car/truck body closer to the ground.

I'm not very good at explaining this, hopefully someone else will jump in and do a better job here.

Also do a search on Z'd frames. There's a ton of pictures in the forum of them. Different shapes and sizes.

Oh yeah, keep the roadster body, rare jewel there.[cl

Good luck

im excited to start my first rat rod build, even though it will be a long road, i dont know what year the pieces are that i have, one looks like a dodge cowl, and the other is im guessing a roadster body. i thought about combining the two and making it a rat rod, im going to list a pic, any information on the pieces or ideas and tips are greatly appreciated, ill have to build or modify a frame as well,
ratrodidea.jpg
Good start on the rat.
Don't cut the roadster up :confused: just my opinion
Since this is your first rat I'll help, the spring in the pic is too stout and you'll need more than 1 [S
The tires in the background look about right ;)
Jim [P

the spring is just a front end to a ford truck it wasn't meant for the rat. i did alot of looking around last night and i kinda understand the z frame, and i think im going to attempt to build my own. im sure there will be alot of changing when i do it, tack first type of thing lol. i have ALOT OF project cars and trucks here, so that means plenty of tires, and what not. What i dont know about is the front suspension, chickasha and shawnee have hot rod swap meets, maybe i can find a front end from there, i dunno. What i was thinking about the frame is this, and tell me if i need to do something different. i have the original frame (crank rod included) lol. i thought i would measure the frame and build my frame the same length and width but make it a z'd frame, then mach up the front end to it? i wouldnt ever cut up a roadster body, im not that stupid the back half isnt attached its just laid up there, it used to be a t bucket i thing, has the back straps or metal connects which ever you want to label them. ill take more pics of the back. i also have a old hood ill post on here incase some one wants to buy it, i saved it from getting scraped. its from a chevy truck, dont know what year it is. I remember seeing a show on tv years ago about building a bike, and one of the main guys had a custom rat truck that he built and it put a bug in my brain, cant seem to shake it. If i did do the truck i would save the back of the roadster or sell it to someone who will use it.:D

The Chickasha swap used to be one of my favorites. I never did make it to the pre-war only one in the fall. Lots of good stuff there.
I have seen threads where the guy mocked up the frame from 2x4s first, to get an idea what the basic dimensions should be.

thats a good idea with the 2x4s i didnt even know they had a pre war swap meet, i havnt been in years i need to go back, they have one in spring so im going to work on the body this winter and hit it up with some saved cash

Latest posts

Back