flame decals?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
ok
i got me a gallon of black farm implement paint
and i am gonna roller paint the 27 chevy love weasel
and i want flames but i
1 have zero eye hand coordination
2 no artistic talent whatsoever
3 no money to hire an artist to paint me some flames

so i have been pondering simply using some decals for the flames

any thoughts?

ok
i got me a gallon of black farm implement paint
and i am gonna roller paint the 27 chevy love weasel
and i want flames but i
1 have zero eye hand coordination
2 no artistic talent whatsoever
3 no money to hire an artist to paint me some flames

so i have been pondering simply using some decals for the flames

any thoughts?

If you wanted pinstripe flames you could get fine line pinstripe tape and do the flames that way. I got a whole pile of striping and lettering done on my truck for very little, if you have even $300 to spend on flames it might be worth asking someone.

i only seem to know 2 types of painters
either they are REALLY good and are worth a pile of money (on a $60 rat truck cab? not gonna happen)
or they are flaky hacks that i wouldn't let mow my lawn.;)

ok
back to the intergooglyweb to look at decals some more.:rolleyes:

Wish you were closer. I'd do it gratis if you paid for the materials. I love shootin' flames. Here's my Nova with some flames.. Hopefully I don't fall into your "flacky hack" category, LOL

Attachments

• Nova.jpg
    Nova.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 50
I kinda grimace whenever I see decals on a rat. Like the fake bullet holes...

That said, I understand your dilemma. Go to the local high school or community college art classes and find a kid to do it? Worst case, you'd have to roller it black again.

As a painter, I really hate decals. I understand that it might be hard to find the right guy, though. When I lived down there, I painted over a hundred cars that raced at Aztec, for beer as long as they bought the materials. I just hated seeing all those cars painted with spray-can numbers and stuff. I'd tape off and shoot the flames for free if you're not in a terrible hurry. I go to Ignacio every now and then to visit my son, and it wouldn't be a big deal to run down there. If you have access to a compressor and a place to do it, I could bring my touch-up gun and knock them out in a pretty good hurry. :cool:

As a painter, I really hate decals. I understand that it might be hard to find the right guy, though. When I lived down there, I painted over a hundred cars that raced at Aztec, for beer as long as they bought the materials. I just hated seeing all those cars painted with spray-can numbers and stuff. I'd tape off and shoot the flames for free if you're not in a terrible hurry. I go to Ignacio every now and then to visit my son, and it wouldn't be a big deal to run down there. If you have access to a compressor and a place to do it, I could bring my touch-up gun and knock them out in a pretty good hurry. :cool:

There you go Billy,
I think you know where you can do it and who's got a compressor.
Ain't got no beer tho.

The vinyl sign shops can make a pattern on stuff that's like masking tape. You stick it on, spray the color, then peel off the tape. It might get expensive for a big area. Are you in Albuquerque? I thought you were in Farmington. :eek:

The vinyl sign shops can make a pattern on stuff that's like masking tape. You stick it on, spray the color, then peel off the tape. It might get expensive for a big area. Are you in Albuquerque? I thought you were in Farmington. :eek:

ABQ these days

cars ,trucks 016.jpg Hey billy I did this with 1 inch masking tape (3M) and 2 rolls of white pin-stripping . my sister wanted me to paint her dirt track car and she brought me a case of red spray paint.. uggg !! I went to town and got some international red tractor paint , it turned out pretty good to just go bang it up :D Hey try it, like sam said if you don't like it just roll it out again . She didt know I put flames on it till she came to get it ..(surprise)

Last edited:
picture of mine

I did mine with rattle cans.
They aren't too hard to do.
I took 1/2" masking tape and cut it in half for the layout
Before I started I took a piece of chalk and drew on the side of it for days until I got a look I liked. Then I just taped right next to the chalk and bang! You are ready to paint. Like has been said before, if ya don't like it, roll it again and redo it. No biggie. After all like you said its a $60 cab. Can't wait to see what you come up with![P[P[;)

Attachments

• 0716121744.jpg
    0716121744.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
hey all,
I don't know if you had thought about it, BUT Tatootist lay out wicked flames. Get one to lay pinstrip tape into flames and paint them yourself however you want. And `some will do it for B.E.E.R! Just a thought--John T.[P

Before I started I took a piece of chalk and drew on the side of it for days until I got a look I liked. Then I just taped right next to the chalk and bang! You are ready to paint. Like has been said before, if ya don't like it, roll it again and redo it. No biggie. After all like you said its a $60 cab. Can't wait to see what you come up with![P[P[;)

Nice!!

Those look good! Very nice flame job. :)

Latest posts

Back