flat bed chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vphoenix

Guys, my 50 needs some exterior work to give it more finished look.. ideas appreciated

bill

Attachments

• KIMG0052.jpg
    KIMG0052.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 62
  • KIMG0053.jpg
    KIMG0053.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 67
  • KIMG0066.jpg
    KIMG0066.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 80
Too me you got to get the hood and fenders sitting with the cab right and it will look a lot more "finished" Just my $0.02

Here is an old picture of mine. My first suggestion is to ditch the add on turn signals. You can modify the running lights to be running/turn signals by installing a socket that accepts a dual filament bulb.

Those big mirrors are going to be a pain to drive with. Yours are bigger than mine and I am always "losing" a car behind mine. I'd go smaller.

HPIM0249.jpg

Well that's one thing I cannot do... I'm thinking cosmetic and some sort of bed rails.. I love the truck the way it sits but need to sell it.. sbc with about 400 hp on refreshed 88 S10 frame.. it's an awesome ride

thanks Flip, I wandered if the mirrors looked out of sorts..it was originally a 4400.. removing lights is no biggee, gotta forget how much effort it took me to fab them

Why not sell it as is? Let the next owner do their own thing to it...Just my .2 cents worth. It is a great starting point for somebody.

Getting low balled or people saying it's too much work.. so I need to put some more into it..I think it's done but obviously I'm wrong.. so I got mirrors and signal lights so far, easy to do.. what else to help this baby sell?

Also, it looks like the bed floor is higher than the bed frame. How hard would it be to raise the frame flush with the floor and finish the floor of the flatbed?

The biggest reason it's not selling is the proportions. It just doesn't look right with the cab sitting lower than the doghouse like that. Raise one & lower the other or meet in the middle. Going to be a tough sell otherwise...

I'm looking at barn wood, rough cut lumber or perhaps wrought iron for the bed rails.. how tall?
the bed is actually the same height, you are looking at the tool box built into the bed or rather it's lid..
I built a 47 binder with new body lines just like this and everybody loves it and I get unsolicited offers... I think this truck is so common that the changed body line is upsetting to the masses (that is it's easier to identify, not so much with IH).. I cannot undo it..I'm attaching a pic with the hood removed and you'll see what I mean.. (the hood is resting against the passenger fender)...

thanks guys!

Attachments

• rat2-21`.JPG
    rat2-21`.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 69
  • rat2-22.JPG
    rat2-22.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 77
Leave the hood off, give it some 6-10 inch bed sides, lose the plastic signals from the grille, and stick some mirrors on it that match this size of the truck.

The only part I contributed was to leave the hood off. :D But I agree with everyone else here.

The biggest reason it's not selling is the proportions. It just doesn't look right with the cab sitting lower than the doghouse like that. Raise one & lower the other or meet in the middle. Going to be a tough sell otherwise...

Since the OP asked
I think the hood and fenders need to be put where they are supposed to be
Right now it looks like the parts are just leaning together waiting to be assembled.
Anything radical you do
The buyer will un-do and either fix it up to suit himself or hire someone to do it.

I do build for what I want, but things change..hence selling it..I'm trying to make lemonade from what's dealt these days ..
I've been offered 4500
I will put it in an on-line auction soon
If I kept it I would not change a thing, I think it's pretty BA, but hey I'm biased.. that's why I've asked you guys what it needs to appeal to a broader market (I'm not good at that, if you saw my other builds you'd agree ahhahaha)..and I think I've got some good input, I appreciate it guys!!.. to change the body lines would require a complete rebuild..gotta remember too that the 4400 has a larger doghouse and that too adds to the look, it's wider and longer

thanks guys!

Ok guys take a look..did most of the suggestions, however tried cutting the hood rather than delete it, it comes off easy if yawl think it looks bad, bed rails added, mirrors removed, didn't get around to removing red lens up front.. threw the chain on so I wouldn't forget to integrate it with some vintage tools and tool chest.. theme is definitely rat work truck, got some ideas as to what to spell out on doors, etc.

Please give me some feedback

Attachments

• 20151004_172456.jpg
    20151004_172456.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20151004_172509.jpg
    20151004_172509.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20151004_172524.jpg
    20151004_172524.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 42
That works [cl

The only thing is see is from the front on view it could use something to finish the bottom of the grill, not much room is that ride height, maybe a sectioned bumper [S

Latest posts

Back