Flat mounted radiator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

OK I can't find a descent place to mount my radiator, that I like. I have seen where some people mount there radiator flat. Under the truck, in the roof, under the bed. Does anything special have to be done to do this? What complications arise if this is done? Will a stock mechanical water pump work ok? Or do you have to use electric? I mean if the radiator is in the back of the truck under the bed laying flat for example. You are moving the coolant 4 to 6' further. The radiator cap should still work the same, and just as long as you have a catch can for overflow you will be ok, right?:confused:

OK, I'm new to rats, but I always thought the idea behind a radiator was to get air moving through it via the car moving forward. Sure, there are fans because the car is not always moving forward. But are the fans that good to not need the airflow from the forward motion of the car?

Nothing too special. A lot of guys will put a scoop under the truck to bring the air in, an electric fan to pull the air through. There are a few more issues in getting the air out of the system.

Nothing too special. A lot of guys will put a scoop under the truck to bring the air in, an electric fan to pull the air through. There are a few more issues in getting the air out of the system.
That makes complete sense. Simple heat exchanger. I guess I'm just thinking in a box. I've got to start looking at solutions that go outside of that box. My box will look like Swiss cheese with what I will run into with my project!

I think if it were me I would not mount it perfectly flat, but just a small angle to ensure no air is stuck in it. If it is to be mounted lower than the engine, make sure you have a way to bleed the system or air can get trapped and create a hot spot in the engine.

Latest posts

Back