Flat white - how to?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I've decided on a flat white for the body, like the attached pic. What's the best way to achieve this look? I can't tell if this guy has just primer or if its paint.

I've heard of guys just putting on a primer and then a flat clear. Seems like that should work. Any other way (simpler) such as just getting some flat white single-stage paint?

Attachments

• Flat white.jpg
    Flat white.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 107
I have been thinking about doing the flat white on black myself, i plan on driving my truck alot.. and dont know how often im going to want to wash it.. haha so we will see what i end up doing.. but like you i am also getting way ahead of myself...

you can also use a tinted primer, depending on the brand of paint system you're using...

if you plan on painting in the next year or two this is a good idea..

if you don't plan on refinishing it, the primer will break down after a few years UV exposure...

I'd use a flattened single stage urethane paint, applied dry to get a nice suede/satin look...

using a flattened clear just seems too streetrod and high tech for me

I paint modern cars with modern paint, you might as well throw it back a little on an older car.. the single stage will chalk up a little after a few years, giving it a little patina..

the clear will protect the pigments.. f-that... I want some fading on the tops of my panels, right?

there's about 5 different ways to get a suede paintjob..

what is your situation and needs?

One problem with primer, so I'm told, is that it can actually wick water and moisture into it. Not something you want . I agree matt clear is a little too fancy for me too, but if you're looking for it to last its the way to go.

Bigshizzle - I'm looking for the easiest/cheapest way to go. I've painted 1 car before, which came out OK, but that was a single-stage matte black. It came out more satin than I wanted (wanted FLAT) though. What do you mean by "applied dry"? I also no longer have a good compressor.

I'm somewhat tempted to rattle-can it with Duplicolor from the autoparts store or Rustoleum so I don't have to buy another compressor & gun. I know this is far from ideal, but prob better than leaving it in primer. Thoughts??

The car will be in the garage all the time, but with the humidity here, I don't want to just leave it in primer b/c it will continue to rust underneath.

I would shoot it base coat white, and then with regular clearcoat. The paintstore can add the right amount of flattener to the clear to dull it the way you want.

I used a Industrial Flat Black from Sherwin Williams - 60$ a gal including reducer. Probably have flat white too. Get a gun from Harbor Freight and borrow a compressor. Might not be the best, but better than rattle can!

Yeah I know, just about anything is better than rattle can. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a used setup on Craigslist or something.

'38

Here's a kool white '38 I sent the BigIrish earlier! I love '38 Ford PU's!!!

BoB

Attachments

• White truck front.jpg
    White truck front.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Kool white truck.jpg
    Kool white truck.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back