flathead vs T5

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonechop

I know this has come up before, but I am getting ready to put the motor into the frame and will need to have the trans in so I can work on the floor. I have the original column shift 3 spd but would rather run the mid 80's t5 that I have.

I have seen kits from $200 up $1000 to use the t5 with the 53 flattie. Just looking for any and all suggestions and opinions on doing it. Mating the 2, clutch setup, pedal and clutch setup and so on.

thanks ahead of time!!!!!!

if ya get the kits they are pretty easy,, just make sure to use a s10 5 speed the shifter will be in a better location! if you are using in a truck , i was going to do the same thing, but use the old trans with a 273 geared reaend workout beter for me,, no clutch issues but i was using a stock frame,, its all up to what frame and body you are using ,, but any thing is possible ! oh it also got about 12 miles to a gallon

ok good point, 31 studabaker frame under a 34 ford truck cab. do I have to use the flathead flywheel/clutch? And can I actuate the clutch hydraulically?

check out speedway,, for the adaptors they have it the details a pdf file that tells ya what you need ,, theres a couple of different kits that use different clutch forks, from the stock ford fork or a stock chevy!!!

bonechop,

Have you located your Flathead to T-5 transmisison adapter, if not, check out Flathead Jack (www.flatheadjack.com). They have a kit that includes the adapter, clutch, disc, through-out bearing, bushing, and shift fork. Basically everything you need to bring the two together. If you need a flywheel, they have them as well.

Here's a picture of a T-5 I rebuilt that I'll be bolting up to a flathead someday. I'm kind of proud of it as it's the first transmission I've rebuilt. One thing that's interesting is that I purchased it and was told it was out of an 85 S-10 but the identification numbers indicate that it's from a 84 Mustang. I doubt that due to the shifter position, which should have been set back further for the Mustang.

trans_after.jpg

Anyway, good luck and let me know how it goes for you. I'm very interested if you go the hydralic clutch route. They sell hydralic throughout bearing kits but they run over $300.

Over and out,

Sid

Latest posts

Back