ford 300 6cyl

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qrt low

not a ford man but got it free. 1978 model. runs fine need to know what trans i can run . manual would be my first choice . thanks for any help. yes i did a search and came up with nothing.

That 300 6 of Fords is a super motor. Ford got the design from Hudson when they folded- It was going to be the next in a long run of extrodinary inlines-so its got 'creds' --something to brag on at burger joints. :) good find (free don't hurt either)..

PA41

the 300 uses the same bell-housing pattern as the small block ford-289-302-351 windsor.....
it is internally balanced where the lil'-v-8's are not, so a flywheel must be used from the 6 cyl......or you'll have the "shakes"

find an old mid 70's early 80's ford truck alot of 6 cyl.s in them, and some even had a 3 spd plus o.d. standard trans......

those 300's are SOLID
they have 7 main bearings, 4" bore/4" stroke alot of grunt
for performance upgrades there is def. a following with manifolds, headers, cams etc

I think the mazda is the stick you'll want, the 4spd trans I have has a lousy gearing spread between 2nd and 3rd. And yeah the 300 I6 is about bullet proof. Love 'em. Get the EFI split exhaust manifolds - cheap upgrade.

I think they were used in Ford trucks between like 88 to 96. Had a tendency to run oil out the rear seals after years of truck abuse.

I had a 300 aka 4.9L in my 92 F150 that thing was bomb proof!!! check through comp cams, isky and offenhauser they make multi carb intakes and hot cams and other goodies for these motors!!!!

+1 for a freebie [cl[cl[cl

I am a GM guy, but I built one for a '77 Ford truck. I went with a mild cam and added a dual exhaust header. It sounded so cool and had a lot of power. I towed a '42 Chevy on a big car trailer at 70 miles an hour from Northern California. Loaded down I got like 27 MPG average and pulled the hills as fast as I wanted. I wish I kept it and I am a GM guy.

I am a GM guy, but I built one for a '77 Ford truck. I went with a mild cam and added a dual exhaust header. It sounded so cool and had a lot of power. I towed a '42 Chevy on a big car trailer at 70 miles an hour from Northern California. Loaded down I got like 27 MPG average and pulled the hills as fast as I wanted. I wish I kept it and I am a GM guy.

27 mpg from a 300 six? Sure you didn't typo on that one?

it was 27 MPG and I also could not believe it. I got much better mileage with the cam and header, it still had the one barrel carb though. See why I wish I kept it. It must have had a real low number rear gear. I thought they all were good on gas, I must have been wrong.

Love my 4.9

I've got the 4.9l in my '94 work truck. Has the muffler removed and dual tailpipes behind the cat converter, Sounds great! Got the Mazda trans too. My mechanick told me it calls for ATF, I think it was mercon? I know it sounds funny but he checked it out.

If you use the Mazda tranny do some research. It has some rubber/nylon/plastic whatever it is plugs that like to fall out and it loses tranny fluid (and yeah I believe it uses ATF as well) and well fail.

I believe I've seen them put in steel plugs and keep it topped up and they hold up ok. (This is per a lot of discussion about using them behind Cummins 4bt diesels so they can take the power no problem.)

You can also use a ZF5 but I believe it has a pretty low 1st gear (not quite granny gear but close), the Mazda has a pretty low first as well.

You can put a world class T5 in there (after 93' from a 5.0 302), I couldn't find the info tonight, tired and just found snippets but essentially it'll fit since it was behind a small block. You don't want to hammer on a T5 though and it can't tow (which if its in a rat isn't a huge problem unless its a truck and your gonna use it like a truck) the torque is what may kill it if you get a bit to happy with it and the 300 has that in abundance. Thats debatable though, many may not think the 6 would kill it. It does have about the nicest ratios though as its more of a car transmission.

And of course there's the top loader, but they're pricey and getting harder to find.

Course for automatics the c6 will take anything the 6 can throw at it, and the E0d is basically the same with a OD, not sure if it uses a computer or not as I haven't messed with them before.

Just some things off the top of my head and of course you'd want to research all those options first. But that 300 as mentioned is probably one of the best motors Ford ever built and 200-300k miles have been seen on them no problem, its a brute. Darn thing's torque is at like 1600 rpms. Good score, heck yeah I'd use one in a minute.

Regards,

D.

it was 27 MPG and I also could not believe it. I got much better mileage with the cam and header, it still had the one barrel carb though. See why I wish I kept it. It must have had a real low number rear gear. I thought they all were good on gas, I must have been wrong.

Not to hijack this thread but can you list the specifics of that engine? Like who manufactured that cam and a part number?

Latest posts

Back