Ford 300 straight 6 with a stock early ford tranny

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dually Rat

I want to put a Ford 300 straight 6 in my 36 ford truck and use the stock tranny.Does anyone on here know of a adapter to mate these two together? Thanks guys, I just joined over here, I'm a member of another forum similar to this one and im not impressed with the attitudes of the members over there. So I decided to give this site a try. :cool:

Welcome to RRR! I doubt you'll find an adapter - not saying there isn't one. Curious, why do you want to keep the '36 trans? Seems it would be a lot easier and cheaper to get a trans that fit the motor - there are a few.

Its a 1 1/2 ton dually, and im planning on putting my flattie back in when i get it rebuilt and run it stock front to rear. I found a deal on a straight 6 and kinda wanted to throw it in till I get the flattie done.:(

Well then, if you can get your hands on a AOD, it might be a easy temporary implant. 'Might be'! A stick shifter would probably be hard to hook up without a lot of fabricating. An adapter, if you could find one, is probably gonna be up in the 700-1,000$ range or more.

Really, probably the best thing to do is have patience and put the effort and money toward getting that flathead together.

Any pics?

Here is a couple pics that are on my phone, I'll try and upoad some that are on my camera tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20130209_152903.jpg
    IMG_20130209_152903.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20130203_165846.jpg
    IMG_20130203_165846.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20130203_165834.jpg
    IMG_20130203_165834.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • 2012-09-28_19-57-34_472.jpg
    2012-09-28_19-57-34_472.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
The work and expense involved mating the 300 to the stock tranny make this idea a real long shot. Bendtsens could make the adaptor kit for you but it's likely going to cost as much as rebuilding the flattie....
Also the 300 is longer than the flathead so you're looking at modifying the firewall to clear the head/valve cover. Also thinking the torquey 300 could tear up that old tranny pretty easily...
Not that it can't be done....
Looks like your truck has an open driveline so a better idea could be to swap in a 4 speed manual trans (I think there are OD 5 speeds too ?) from a Ford pickup that is meant to go behind the 300 six. Then you can have a floor shifter similar to the original - probably much better ratios than the 36 and that 300 six would make way more power than the flattie - you might never want to put it back in.

I was also thinking once you run around with the 300 you will be disappointed when you put the flatty back in it.

As for this site. You won't find a better place to hang out and you won't be judged here. Build what ya want, how ya want!

Since it is a dually and therefore made for HD work, I wouldn't think you'd have any problem at all. I was originally thinking you might have trouble with the 36 trans like ZZ said, but then thought about it being built for a heavy hauler.

If it were me, I'd go with a auto for ease of installation. But then, if it really were me, I'd be saving the flattie for something else and be permanently putting the 300 in with a manual trans. I love the 300 I6 and much prefer three pedals over two.

I really appreciate your guys suggestions, another question I had was how difficult a time I'd have mounting a newer tranny to the stock rearend, it has the tork tube drive shaft now

Latest posts

Back