FORD 302 HO oil filter prob

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuCkYLaDD

So I have a rebuilt 302 HO 0.040 over (so its a 308) for my 67 mustang and the good 'ol PH8A oil filter doesnt fit!!:mad: Ive looked through the fram catalogue at the local schucks and the only option seems to be the PH16 which is just the shorter version of the 8A. The filter spins right on the 289 I pulled out of my car and another 302 I have that was full of water. It looks like the new engine has more threads on the oil filter screw than the 289 and the dead 302 have. :confused:

Does anybody know if theres a different filter for the 302 HO

The 289 and 302 are all the same. The PH8A should also fit that motor in that car. Are you sure no one put and oil cooler adapter on that block. Thats the only way I could see that the PH8A filter not fitting in that car.

Also is the Oil filter thread part screwed all the way in the block.

Can you replace the threaded nipple ?

Don't use Fram oil filters.
icon13.gif

Their quality sucks now.

It probly had an oil cooler attached originally, but the engines with that use the PH16 which is just a shorter version of the 8A. I dont know if it has new threads pressed in or if its the original part, but you can tell the diff when looking at them that the 308 filter nipple has more threads than the 289 and my other 302. I tried the PH2, but it was too big. I can get the 8A to spin once then it binds and has 1/2 inch gap

The filter not hitting the bottom of the Threads? or the treads are not damaged on the nipple.

Is it possible that they put the nipple for a 4.6 or a 5.4 They are a different thread.

Latest posts

Back