Ford Chevy Mix... Cardinal Sin?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
like my sig says I put LS style chevy motors in everything from a datsun to a 99 mustang. This is due to the fact that the stock crank and block is WAY stronger than a SBC or a SBF and the heads right from the factory out flow most aftermarket stuff out there. but then I am into turbos as well. Must just equal out to a horsepower fetish without alot of money!:D
But as a side note, I have and have run fords, caddy motors, buicks, pontiacs, MG's, toyotas, triumphs etc. Usually it comes down to 1; did it come with it, 2; did I already have it, 3; does it make more power for $X over what was in there.

I sell hot rods for a living I never have had much luck selling a Ford in a Ford ( flathead V8s being the exception) or a Mopar in a Mopar. People like the idea of affordable parts and the Chev engines were unchanged for years allowing greater availabilty and lower priced performance parts............. visit our site at www.hoenterprisesclassics.com

It seems to me that only lately are people getting their underwear in a bunch about keeping a Ford in a Ford, A Mopar in a Mopar, A Chevy in a Chevy, and so on. I've been around a while and my dad even longer and neither one of us can remember this being an issue of contempt until recently. People have been doing engine swaps across brands since the very beginning of rodding. I don't intend to change what those fellas started. Right now, none of my cars have the same brand engine as the body. My next one will, but not because I think it has to be that way, it's just because that will be my engine/body combination of choice this time.

have a friend that does derby cars .took out a perfect running 1986 307 out of a chevy caprice wagon .he only runs sbc .said that olds motor was a throw away motor .i said throw it my way so he cave me the motor and trans .put it in my 53 f100.

Did my first swap 35 years ago, a 324 Olds into my 55 Chev pickup, ever since practically every car I've built has had parts from another brand on it, it's the Hot Rod way.

Here's my theory - they are just pieces of metal that don't know if they are Ford, Chev, mopar, so on - the difference is only in peoples minds.

Have you ever seen the cars in Cuba ? They dont think twice about crossbreeding, just keep it runnin'.......

I just like the oddball stuff. A rod with a 324 Olds, nailhead, Y block, Hemi, Caddy ect. is ten times more interesting than one with a 350, to me. When I raced roundy round dirt cars, I wouldn't have even thought of using anything but a small block Chevy. But I still like just about anything else better in an old hotrod, I just march to a different drum I guess. It just seems odd to go to all the work to build a unique hotrod and then use the least unique engine there is.
Now a 3 deuce 283 with a 30/30 Duntov cam and fuelie heads would turn my crank.

Latest posts

Back