Ford vs Chevy free vs not so free

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnrodder

OK guys... bring on the opinions
I have been planning to use a tried and true ford style transverse spring axle on my truck.I think they are the best looking option available. If money was no object I would order a new setup tomorrow. With that being said, I have a nice ,clean and complete 37-42?ish chevy truck axle lying in the shop. With the Z in my frame I think I can make it look pretty good as a parallel setup. Since you dont see a lot of Chevy axles used what are the pro's and con's? brakes, spindles, what am I missing? Lets see who can talk me into it or out of it.

BTW.. I realize its 6 lug but it has a nice set of 15" artillery wheels to run on the front and I could get some 17" 5x51/2 fords for the rear

OK ...bring it on!!!

I say run what you got. kinda the esence of the "rat rod".
A buddy of mine has built several 34-36ish chevy pickups w/Z'd frame & channel jobs that turned out pretty sweet.

My $0.02
-Mike-

A parallel spring setup solves a lot of problems........ie no radius rods, no shackle rock, and a little easier to set up IMO. Downside is that the axle sits back further than the front of the frame, so you lose the suicide look. But I have seen some very nice rods with this setup.

If later Chevy spindles fit ('49-54 car spindles) you can use those year drum brakes or have the spindles machined to use various disc brake setups. If you decide to go the disc route, it is just as cheap to order a set of spindles new from Speedway. We just ordered a set for my Kids T and they were $ 219.00 a pair. By the time you purchase a used set and have them machined, you are up there in price anyway.

I do think the spindles fit the earlier axle, but can't swear to it. Here is a picture of a '54 Chevy drum setup I am using on my Dodge truck.

Don

dodgefrontendpartsprimed001.jpg

Thanks for the input fella's. I am going to move forward with the Chevy axle I have. I started cleaning it up tonight and it only has 1 coat of paint and very little surface rust, so I think it will work out fine.

Again thanks to those who replied and if anyone else has ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

they also make a disc brake conversion for the chevy spindles , heres one I did on my 32 chevy axle

Attachments

• IM000633 (Medium).JPG
    IM000633 (Medium).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IM000634 (Medium).JPG
    IM000634 (Medium).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 42
i used the chevy axel for my c-cab build up and it worked fine with duall coil springs on the front with radias rods. drove great and rode great.
101_0765_320x240-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back