found a deal is it worth it ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodgirl

Hey guys I found a car for a killer deal just wonder it ifs worth it was gonna get it and use it as a donor car for the next project i have sitting in the carport ( 1920?? coupe)
anyways the car is a rx7 1988 ( so 2nd gen engine 188 hp)
bodys no good but everything elts is in mint shape good tranny and engine braided brake lines turbo kit ext. Saw a guy that had used the same car for a similar project just curious if its worth it?
he selling it for $400 btw
Thanks !

also gotta keep in mind its a fmr set up --- dunno how that would work - i mean im sure it can be worked around but it would take some thought... also its unibody (what were you planning on using) --- on the plus side my buddy had a 1st gen RX7 and the torque in 3rd gear was pretty impressive and they redline at something like 7k rpm.

The little I know about rotaries is that when they are running good they are running good, and when they develop a problem they get expensive real quick. The valves in them are hard to find and expensive when you do (not like a normal valve, I understand). Anytime you start playing with an oddball motor you take on a whole different set of problems. That is why there are so many Jaguars running around with swapped in Chevy motors in them.

I personally think you would be in for some major problems and expenses if not initially, down the road.

Don

The little I know about rotaries is that when they are running good they are running good, and when they develop a problem they get expensive real quick. The valves in them are hard to find and expensive when you do (not like a normal valve, I understand). Anytime you start playing with an oddball motor you take on a whole different set of problems. That is why there are so many Jaguars running around with swapped in Chevy motors in them.

I personally think you would be in for some major problems and expenses if not initially, down the road.

Don

id lean to agree -- most people drop a sb in the rx7 when the engine gives trouble ... says a lot about the rotary engine -- its actually a fantasic engine but no one works on them and it is expensive... i mean they ARE airplane engines lol

ok thanks guys it just getting hard and frustrating trying to find somthing that will work :( nothing up here at all
Just needing it so my bf can start on the parts and pcs to that roadster coupe i got him.

My suggestion would be to find a running 70's or 80's Chevy and pirate everything you can off of it and scrap the rest. If it runs good it is a simple matter to drop the pan, put in a new oil pump, some new gaskets, a fuel pump, tune it up, and drive it for a zillion more miles. Parts are cheap and available at any parts store.

I say Chevy, even though I am a Ford guy at heart, because they are like the Energizer Bunny and so much cheaper to keep alive than any other motor. I bet you can find a rusty donor sitting around if you look hard. I bought a rusted out 72 Chevelle four door years ago for $ 75 , drove it home, and swapped everything I could into a 40 Chevy pickup I had. I used everything from the engine, transmission, rear axle, wiring, seat, etc and had very little money in the truck when I was done.

Just a thought.

Don

I think it would be a great power train in a light car. I gave one of those engines to a mod on the HAMB a few years ago and he built a screamin little T (couldn't talk about it on the forum tho,lol.)

ok so here for fords zippo, Chevy your looking at spending 3500+ for anything that is worth even thinking of using most have 500,000 k+ bad trannys ext and most here everyone uses for mud boggin then sell them .So theres not much ,as for cars most here are crushed or go for top $$ Im in northern b.c so its not easy picking for motor and tranny for anything :( I need somthing smaller as it is the same size as a small model T a pick up truck parts will be too big for the most part.

ok so here for fords zippo, Chevy your looking at spending 3500+ for anything that is worth even thinking of using most have 500,000 k+ bad trannys ext and most here everyone uses for mud boggin then sell them .So theres not much ,as for cars most here are crushed or go for top $$ Im in northern b.c so its not easy picking for motor and tranny for anything :( I need somthing smaller as it is the same size as a small model T a pick up truck parts will be too big for the most part.

we arent trying to discourage you from using the car - i personally think it would be a cool engine - but id hate to see any issues come up and you guys be up fecal creek with no paddle.

Ive only worked on one of these engines once so wasnt to sure about it,I love to make a custom frame but finding everything need to build one is near imposible not many people here build frames (no on in town even knows what a heim joint is [S ),But you if you guy think its a bad thing to try messing with then it probably is.I keep my eye out see if maybe I can find somthing elts. :)

My brother does quite a bit of autocrossing. He says the RX7s are popular and actually pretty tough. The main issue with them is oil consumption. 100k miles and they are usually burning oil pretty good.

Also because of it, alot of people don't keep an eye on the oil and burn them up. I think the second gen would rev to 8k.

Where abouts in BC are you, I know there is a pretty big group of car guys in the Prince George. If you need I can maybe point you in the direction of a few of them.

Where abouts in BC are you, I know there is a pretty big group of car guys in the Prince George. If you need I can maybe point you in the direction of a few of them.

Iam about @ hrs north of pg :)
and if you could that be great! thanks

Ok so I made arangment to have someone look at car ,He said ran great good buy. So I call to make arangment to get a dolly and get the day off and get my bf to take a day off to go get it as its a few hrs one way to go get it.Soooo the morning before im to go get the car get a mesage from the owner sorry sold it didnt wanna have to deliver it in anyway ( he was gonna take it 1 hr my way) and his add said will deliver !! so im out my deposit on the trailer and a days work !! sooo not impresses.Was telling a buddy about it and said hed sell me his s10 for 100 nothing wrong with it other then doors are missing and few other body parts ( as long as this other guy dont buy it ) .He was parting the body out to use for the same thing I need it for ( his was a model T but a kit car) but his wife said NO more trucks !!
So looks like it worked out after all :D

For the kind of money you say they want, I'd hook up the trailer and make a trip south.

I was going to get it but he sold it on me !
I took the day off worked rented a trailer and was ready to go down he messaged me the morning before said he sold it,Even tho he knew I was coming down to get it.

I think he means go 1/2 a day south and find something useable for less. It'll be worth it in the long run. 3500$ gets you a lot of gas.

LOL half a days drive would be were I was going :(
The car was in vancouver Im two hrs north of prince george so around 11 hrs one way depending on the roads this time of yr..
I did look all over and that was one of the few I found that would work in b.c for a decent price ,But its not a must at the moment just looking to find something so the model t can get started :)

It was trying to tell you something..........you were not supposed to have that car. :) I've had things happen to me and you are PO'd at the time but later on you say "Oh, so that is why that happened."

Just be patient, have the money in hand, and be the first person there. The right one will come along.

Don

Latest posts

Back